Question LSA vs ELSA vs E-AB

Jfly67

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James Williams
I was told if you buy an LSA Kit and then certificate it to an E-SLA or E-AB after building it to the LSA specifications you can then make your own modifications ? I was also told if you make engine mods or changes to the plane that would allow it to exceed 120 kts you would be required to put a placard inside that only allows this plane to be operated at the 120 KTS max speed.

Can anyone tell me if these statements are true ?

Last edited:
If you buy a kit it will be either E-LSA or E-AB depending on if you can meet the 51% rule and /or if it is a copy of an S-LSA. There will be no change to make since an S-LSA can not be a kit. E-LSA also requires you to initially build to the S-LSA spec.
If you certificate it as an E-LSA and you make a mod to allow Vh to exceed 120 knots (placard or not), you now have a parts donor.
If it's E-AB, and you modify it such that Vh is greater than 120, then it is no longer an LSA and you will need a medical, but not a placard.

May I suggest: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...medical-103-glider-lsa-got-kinda-long.101402/ post 2 where I beat this to death with citations of the specific regulations.

What kit are you considering?

I was considering the Sling 2 or the Arion Lightning

So if its an E-AB you can modify it. Would you be allowed to put higher horsepower engine to operate it in high DA and placard it or restrict it to 120 kts and still fly legally with a sport pilot license.

I was considering the Sling 2 or the Arion Lightning
Sling 2 "The kit can be certified as an E-LSA or Experimental-Amateur Built depending on the owner’s needs and desires."
Arion Lightning "This kit can be made to go as fast as the Jabiru engine can take you or it can be made Light Sport Compliant, just choose the corresponding options on the order form."

So, it looks like both can be certificated as an E-AB so you don't have the limitations on modifications. If you certificate it within the speed / weight limits, it is still an LSA as in "An airplane that can be flown by a sport pilot".

Would you be allowed to put higher horsepower engine to operate it in high DA and placard it or restrict it to 120 kts and still fly legally with a sport pilot license.
I'm pretty sure that a placard on the speed won't cut it. The FAA is on to that. Things like a prop that limits the max speed or... may work. One is skating on thin ice here.

Limiting engine rpm to xxxx rpm for continuous operation (for cooling) may work. I would talk to a DAR.

Limiting engine rpm to xxxx rpm for continuous operation (for cooling) may work. I would talk to a DAR.
I believe for that to fly, the engine has to be so limited by the engine manufacturer. Nothing prevents you from "manufacturing" your own engine, which may look suspiciously like a factory built engine with the data plate removed... but you better be prepared to explain to the DAR or FAA why your "Jones O-320" has a redline so much lower than the Lycoming O-320 it closely resembles.

I believe for that to fly, the engine has to be so limited by the engine manufacturer. Nothing prevents you from "manufacturing" your own engine, which may look suspiciously like a factory built engine with the data plate removed... but you better be prepared to explain to the DAR or FAA why your "Jones O-320" has a redline so much lower than the Lycoming O-320 it closely resembles.
Arion Lightning was actually sold as a LSA with a placard limiting continuous RPM to avoid busting the speed limit.

Arion Lightning was actually sold as a LSA with a placard limiting continuous RPM to avoid busting the speed limit.

now we are getting somewhere !

Back