Question for Whifferdill and other Acro Pilots

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
My Marv Golden ANR's which work OK in most planes have developed a terrible squeal with the PTT engaged in the Citabria's which have Garmin SL30 radios and I think PS Engineering intercoms so I am thinking of getting a new headset.

Currently leaning towards a Clarity Aloft but am not sure how to connect the Clarity Aloft to my GoPro audio input given the design of the Clarity Aloft, and also concerned about keeping the camera on my head. I use a mount affixed to the bill of a ball cap and it currently stays on fine but that is I think due to my headset which includes a chin-strap.

Looking for advice/pics on the setups you use to capture video for training/debrief and IF you capture intercom/Comms audio. I find the ability to relisten to be massively helpful when reviewing flights whether flying solo (I talk to myself a lot) or with a coach.

Ideas/recommendations appreciated.

'Gimp

Callin' me out? :)

I switched to earbud headsets, and won't go back to over-ear headsets for acro. I have both the Halo and Clarity Aloft and prefer the CA. I don't know anything about audio capturing. I know the CA has a music input (unlike the Halo), but don't don't know anything about compability or if you can use it for capturing audio. I've never tried any of that.

As for mounting, I use Drift cameras on an elastic headstrap. Stays in place fine for any type of manuever.

Ha ha, not calling you out but I thought I recalled you were a proponent of the earbud headsets and I know you get good POV video of your flights, didn't know whether or not you recorded the audio from your flights or not.

The GoPro has an audio-in cable but it is short and coiled so not easy to deal with if you wear the camera, probably more intended for fixed locations - I'll figure it out. I do have the elastic headband setup for the GoPro in addition to my ball cap mount, I'll try the headband tomorrow.

I'll probably run down to Marv Golden's shop at Montgomery today and grab a Clarity Aloft and then just figure out how to make it all work. My Marv Golden ANR headset does not seem to like the setup in the Citabria's so hopefully the simpler CA will work better.

Next challenge is figuring out how to better route the cables.

Thanks!

'Gimp

a terrible squeal with the PTT engaged
I had that problem with my '79 Decathlon with some headsets. Cleaning the plugs helped. Putting a ferrite core around the lead of my headset fixed it. Trading up to a newer Super D fixed all the problems.
I admit to being a dinosaur as I still use my DC that I bought 30 years ago.

Initial PIREP on the Clarity Aloft is that I like it, a lot. It will take some getting used to with respect to getting the earbuds in correctly but nice and lightweight, good sound, and the music input (tested on the ground with my handheld, not in the plane yet) is way better than my Marv Golden ANR set was.

I also bought a set of the Riptie tie wraps from Fry's that are like Velcro so I can tuck the cords away with top crossbar behind my head, much cleaner in the cockpit now and no cords dangling in front of my high tech sighting aid taped to the side window.

Practice today was mixed, gave up the progress I made on the slow rolls but my spins improved. For the rolls at least now I can see what I am doing wrong - back out on Sunday and try it again, will be adding loops and Cuban 8's.

Curious what the thought is on slowing the roll down (yes, I just said that in respect to a Citabria) in order to really drill in the control inputs ?

'Gimp

I don't think you can slow them down much more. LOL!
Just remember top rudder, forward stick, top rudder, back stick. LOL!

You should have bought my Staudacher. All you had to do is just push the stick to the side. It rolled so fast it was still level when you were done. :)

Quick thought on this topic...
This would be a good question for the Halo inventor. He usually works his both at osh.

I wonder if there is a "tee" fitting one could put in one of the tubes and then route off that to the vid mic inside a small insulated container....

Probably ruin the acoustics, but just a thought.

Curious what the thought is on slowing the roll down (yes, I just said that in respect to a Citabria) in order to really drill in the control inputs?

The thing that low-powered, slow rolling airplanes typically struggle with during the roll are the knife edge positions, and maintaining altitude. I've never tried it in a Citabria, but I would expect the Citabria will not maintain altitude in pure knife edge flight at the airspeeds you're doing a typical roll from. I only bring this up because in slowing the roll down (from an already "ponderous" roll rate), you are really taxing its knife edge ability even more by extending the duration of the knife edge positions. You will likely have even more trouble doing the roll properly, and maintaining altitude. The quicker you get through the two knife edge positions, the less altitude you'll be likely to drop. But try it and see how it goes.

So you can slow the roll down if you want, but this will likely make it harder to do a good roll, if that is your aim. If you ignore the shape of the figure, and simply use it to drill the inputs, then I guess that is possible. I'm just not sure I like the idea of drilling any inputs that actually produce undesirable results. In the Pitts, you can do a super slow roll (as in taking 10 seconds or more to complete the roll) without dropping an inch of altitude, because the Pitts can fly knife edge indefinitely...assuming you'd have oil pressure. :)

Last edited:
Quick thought on this topic...
This would be a good question for the Halo inventor. He usually works his both at osh.

I wonder if there is a "tee" fitting one could put in one of the tubes and then route off that to the vid mic inside a small insulated container....

Probably ruin the acoustics, but just a thought.

Why wouldn't you pick up the audio at the jack or audio panel in electric form that the GoPro is able to accept?

The thing that low-powered, slow rolling airplanes typically struggle with during the roll are the knife edge positions, and maintaining altitude. I've never tried it in a Citabria, but I would expect the Citabria will not maintain altitude in pure knife edge flight at the airspeeds you're doing a typical roll from. I only bring this up because in slowing the roll down (from an already "ponderous" roll rate), you are really taxing its knife edge ability even more by extending the duration of the knife edge positions. You will likely have even more trouble doing the roll properly, and maintaining altitude. The quicker you get through the two knife edge positions, the less altitude you'll be likely to drop. But try it and see how it goes.

So you can slow the roll down if you want, but this will likely make it harder to do a good roll, if that is your aim. If you ignore the shape of the figure, and simply use it to drill the inputs, then I guess that is possible. I'm just not sure I like the idea of drilling any inputs that actually produce undesirable results. In the Pitts, you can do a super slow roll (as in taking 10 seconds or more to complete the roll) without dropping an inch of altitude, because the Pitts can fly knife edge indefinitely...assuming you'd have oil pressure. :)
Good input, thanks.

My current issue appears to be a holdover from flying the Extra, wherein I do not get the nose pitching up enough at the beginning of the roll - the 300L needed very little since half-deflection still gives about 200 degrees per second, and it is reasonably happy on the knife-edge - I usually stretched the slow roll in the Extra to take 2.5 to 3 seconds.

The best rolls I got during the mini-camp on Sunday in the Citabria had a nice combined pitch and top rudder input that pulled the nose way high so that the first half of the roll was really good (coach commented and complimented it in fact).

Switching feet smoothly and the timing/magnitude of the back stick to complete the last 90 smoothly and on altitude was all that remained for work. I was also finally seeing the roll rate increase from going to left (top) rudder on the last 1/3 so I expected to just work on the last half but the first half of the rolls yesterday were awful.

Based on review of yesterday's video, I went back to the insufficent initial pitch and I am also being too digital with the rudder inputs which is throwing the nose all over the place. I thought maybe if I slowed it down a bit (a bit more that is) and focused on more smooth application of controls I could tame it but I realized last night I am probably overthinking it, just move your hands and feet to make the nose do what you want.

Back out on Sunday for more, guess that's why we call it practice and not perfect. :D

I really have to work on not being too hard on myself and just focusing on learning, it is a long road but it is supposed to be fun.

'Gimp

I really have to work on not being too hard on myself and just focusing on learning, it is a long road but it is supposed to be fun.

Well the fact that you care about and can anyalyze and see these little details means you'll end up being good at this stuff. The devil is in the details. :) This is why I continue to enjoy precision acro - there are always little things to work on, problem solve, and improve...no matter how good you get. That's where the satisfaction is for me, as well as most others who are into precision acro. Just flopping around to watch the horizon rotate doesn't do much for me. There has to be some technique and effort involved.

Back