Question for the Tie Down crowd: Securing the aircraft

Where in the South are you? Here in south Florida, hangars START at about $650 ( plus tax!).

Yeah unfortunately I heard Florida was bad as well. I had a hanger at Enterprise, AL for only $125 per month. I moved to Savannah and they wanted $375 at SAV. I went with a country airport not far from my apartment (JYL) and was paying $150. Now I live up in Northern GA (DNN) and only pay $135 for the Glasair and $170 for the Velocity. I'm on the waiting list for a T hanger at I believe $175 per month. I'd rather have a T hanger but the way our aircraft are parked in the community hanger generally only the one center aircraft (C-172) has to be moved. Not a bad deal.

I have 1 closed T Hangar available now at $125/Month. Several open shade T hangars at $75 or $85 depending on Pad or fully paved. Also some community hangar space at $150/month - we do the moving in the community hangar unless it can be moved without moving or endangering another plane. Russellville, Arkansas

I don't remember the exact language, but that sounds about right. Along this same line, hail damage is not considered as damage history per se for appraisal purposes, but is accounted for as a deduct in airframe condition.

Everybody including the insurance companies knows that hundreds if not thousands of GA planes are flying around with current annual inspections in the logs and with readily apparent hail damage, and they also know these airplanes change hands frequently. So there's no question as to whether they
are functionally and legally airworthy, the only issue is market value at which the trades take place.

Snip>

(this is the sort of language you were referring to):

"If the Aircraft is damaged by hail, We will pay the reasonable cost of repair of the hail damage that affects the airworthiness of the Aircraft after the Aircraft has been repaired. We will also pay an amount not exceeding 10% of the Agreed Value for hail damage that does not affect the airworthiness of the Aircraft. Hail damage that does not result in an immediate grounding of the Aircraft will be deemed to be damage not affecting the airworthiness of the Aircraft."

I'm guessing dimples all over the non control surfaces wouldn't count as affecting the airworthiness.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like "We'll make it legal to fly and give you a 10% agreed value payment against the resale value hit for being hail pocked on what didn't get replaced." Ehh, that deal could go either way.

Got to thinking about this one recently....

In the discussion between enclosed hangars and tie-downs, one obvious advantage for hangars is that the aircraft and anything contained within is well secured. Lookie-loo's just see the closed hangar door, and not the precious items you have stored there.

What are some good guidelines and suggestions for securing the aircraft and it's contents when the aircraft is parked in an open setting (tie-down, or open hangar)?

One option, if the airport permits, is a very strong, lockable metal trunk or cabinet. Chain it to something that doesn't move.

You can't control what happens, but at least you'll understand the potential outcomes if you understand the coverages. Most pilots don't.

Sounds to me like "We'll make it legal to fly and give you a 10% agreed value payment against the resale value hit for being hail pocked on what didn't get replaced." Ehh, that deal could go either way.

When flying corporate, we'd hangar if there was a chance of ice or snow, or convective weather. Most other places and operations, we never hangar. There are usually not hangars available to aircraft of that size, and we've let them out in the open all over the world, exposed to everything from theft to terrorism to rocket attacks, and worst of all...whatever happens in New Jersey.

(As an aside, when broken down one night in Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, I heard a crew member comment "hey, at least this is better than overnighting in New Jersey!").

For the private owner, hangaring an aircraft is a wise choice, but it's often not economically feasible. Unfortunately, even where one is based at a small airport, often the field won't allow the construction of hangars, or will do it only if it's deeded to the city or county.

Back