Question for the Tie Down crowd: Securing the aircraft

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Got to thinking about this one recently....

In the discussion between enclosed hangars and tie-downs, one obvious advantage for hangars is that the aircraft and anything contained within is well secured. Lookie-loo's just see the closed hangar door, and not the precious items you have stored there.

What are some good guidelines and suggestions for securing the aircraft and it's contents when the aircraft is parked in an open setting (tie-down, or open hangar)?

Cover or heat shields. Don't leave anything valuable or hard to replace in the plane.

Are you talking theft?

We've never had any problems, that I remember, of theft in AUG. You can walk by planes and see headsets sitting on top of the panel - nobody ever touches them. I wouldn't do it personally, but some do.

As far as securing the aircraft - I see tons of people who tie their aircraft down half-assed. Make sure the rope is tight, and make sure the FBO attendant/line guys are tightening them up from time to time. If you have tons of slack in the rope it will do you no good. Re-securing the tied down aircraft is on my list of things to do every few weeks.

Also, don't forget the control locks! I've seen control surfaces slammed around real hard bcause locks weren't put in place.

This sign:
minefield.jpg

Last edited:
Aircraft belong indoors when not in use. I employed a cover and everything else I could for my old airplane,but the deterioration in its condition during it's time outdoors was marked. My hangar is the single largest airplane expenditure I won (save last years annual...) and I wouldn't think of leaving in out in a tie-down.

@ Cory; yes, theft of small property and potential damage or theft of the aircraft.

@ Ron; broken link.

I'd love a hangar, but even if I could get one, paying the equivalent of an apartment rent monthly just to store the plane is totally unpalatable. Ten years of hangar rent can buy more than one paint job and interior redo, where I live.

I'd love a hangar, but even if I could get one, paying the equivalent of an apartment rent monthly just to store the plane is totally unpalatable. Ten years of hangar rent can buy more than one paint job and interior redo, where I live.

A hangar can double up as an offsite storage location for business records and such.:yesnod: They are going for about $300 in Lincoln, just up the road.

When traveling, I have interior sun shields (would love covers but these are cheaper and easier to repair/replace) and locked doors (which probably won't do much good if someone really wants to get in). If parked for any length of time (e.g. overnight) anything mobile is with me in the flight bag (headsets, handheld, GPS, Zaon, glasses, wallet, iPad, etc). If for a short time (e.g. lunch) and we're going off-site for food, then most items are on the floor and not readily visible. But the wallet, glasses & iPad are always with me.

The cheapest hangers at KMYF, last time I looked into it a few years back, was $500.00 per month. Those were old metal T hangers. Out of my budget, that's for sure.

I use a Bruce's Custom Cover that hides all of my interior. The cover costs a little over five hundred dollars and last two or three years if you handle it carefully. I sprayed mine with waterproofing spray at the three year mark, but all I did was buy myself a few more months. I just bought a new one from them.

I leave nothing in my airplane that would tempt the desperadoes that lurk around KMYF.

-John

Last edited:

It's the salty marsh air in it entire river basin California Delta and Bay area that you at guarding against as well, that's corrosion causing stuff so make sure you're protested there as well. Even electronics need more cleaning. There are more costs than just paint, interior and glass.

It's the salty marsh air in it entire river basin California Delta and Bay area that you at guarding against as well, that's corrosion causing stuff so make sure you're protested there as well. Even electronics need more cleaning. There are more costs than just paint, interior and glass.

Well, that and drive-bys.

First tie down each wing with the rope tight enough that the wing sinks a few inches. Use two knots if you have enough slack. Tie down the tail last, tight enough so that the tail sinks a few inches.

Hangar every place I can. Otherwise sun shields. I also have fly ties in case, whatever.

Some people park their car in a garage, some on the street. Each have plusses and minuses.

For the cross country flights, I used a sun shield on the front window; and with the overhead wings, the inside was plunged into shadows. I merely tossed the black headsets on the floor where they were nearly invisible, and left the (cheap) GPS on its Ram mount.

But I do tie down securely even in predicted good weather and calm air. Even if there is no wind, a medi-evac helicopter may land nearby.

I've left the plane tied down outside in dozens of airports all across the US and never had anything taken.

I guess plastic planes fend the elements (corrosion) a bit better?? Not that I am comfortable flying them.

We have a waiting list of at least 5 years (if you get lucky) for a T hangar at FRG for about $700 per month.:mad2:

I guess plastic planes fend the elements (corrosion) a bit better?? Not that I am comfortable flying them.

We have a waiting list of at least 5 years (if you get lucky) for a T hangar at FRG for about $700 per month.:mad2:

I have noticed over the years that even at airports with years long waiting lists, hangars are typically available through private deals.

Don't leave anything inside that you don't want to lose. Even though my plane is under cover, it is not in a lockable hangar. Even so, I use a reflective cover behind the windshield and a sheet over the panel.

In Texas I think even a covered unopened spot is MUCH better than leaving her out in the Sun. I DO wish I had a lockable hangar so I could leave tools and supplies at the airport and could work on the plane without having to button it all back up before having to go home.

I have noticed over the years that even at airports with years long waiting lists, hangars are typically available through private deals.

Yes, that's the only way I would have a hangar at ANY airport within fifty miles of home. My only hope is putting in a grass strip after the Keystone pipeline comes through and building a hangar at home.

But I do tie down securely even in predicted good weather and calm air. Even if there is no wind, a medi-evac helicopter may land nearby.

Medivac isn't that bad but a Blackhawk can spoil your day. Most military very thoughtful but not all. We had a Blackhawk take off from the taxiway behind a Malibu. We saw daylight under the Malibu mains.

How do hangars stop salty air?

Hangar availability can be an odd duck.

When Troy, myself and a third were discussing potential partnership, he made an inqury to one of the hangar owners at DTO (Nebrig, I think) and asked to be put on the waiting list. Lo and behold he got a call 3 days later saying our name is at the top of the list and a hangar was available, do we want it?

Even though the list had many names above ours, it was our luck that all of them no longer needed the hangar and it was now our turn. Since we were still figuring out what we we going to do, we had to express our gratitude and let the next guy have a chance.

I just hope I have similar luck when I become an airplane owner for real!

If anybody in the middle of the country has any doubt about the value of hangars, simply climb up and look at the hail dents in the roof of any metal hangar on the airport. Or pick up a copy of the Dallas paper from a few weeks ago and check the property damage from the hail-storm.

l
Don't leave anything inside that you don't want to lose. Even though my plane is under cover, it is not in a lockable hangar. Even so, I use a reflective cover behind the windshield and a sheet over the panel.

In Texas I think even a covered unopened spot is MUCH better than leaving her out in the Sun. I DO wish I had a lockable hangar so I could leave tools and supplies at the airport and could work on the plane without having to button it all back up before having to go home.

If anybody in the middle of the country has any doubt about the value of hangars, simply climb up and look at the hail dents in the roof of any metal hangar on the airport. Or pick up a copy of the Dallas paper from a few weeks ago and check the property damage from the hail-storm.

Yeah, but acts of nature are the insurance company's problem in many owner's view.

How many airplanes regularly drown at airports affected by hurricanes predicted to hit that area days in advance? People just leave them sit... to sink later.

Some airplanes are worth hangaring, some aren't.

Yeah, but acts of nature are the insurance company's problem in many owner's view.

How many airplanes regularly drown at airports affected by hurricanes predicted to hit that area days in advance? People just leave them sit... to sink later.

Very true

Anyone who parks outside while thinking the insurance company will pay for a hail-damage re-skin should read their policy carefully before doing so. Some expensive surprises (in the form of limitations from such damage) may lurk therein. One large carrier now has a 10% of insured value rider as standard condition of issuance. If you read the policy and find the rider is included, you may be able to ***** at them and get it removed. They did it for me without too much fuss.

Dew/moisture settles on the outside of the building.
How can dew (== distilled water) contain an inorganic solute like NaCl? Aerosolized seawater (a.k.a. salt spray) I will believe, and yes it's unlikely that much will make it into a closed hangar, but I don't see how salt can reach an airplane's skin via condensation.

How can dew (== distilled water) contain an inorganic solute like NaCl? Aerosolized seawater (a.k.a. salt spray) I will believe, and yes it's unlikely that much will make it into a closed hangar, but I don't see how salt can reach an airplane's skin via condensation.

Because mineral salts and other dirt are suspended in the atmosphere and collects in the dew as it settles.

Because mineral salts and other dirt are suspended in the atmosphere and collects in the dew as it settles.
But then you are talking about airborne aerosols and not salt contained in dew. Also, this paper seems to suggest that salt found in dew and frost largely got there by particulates already on the surface dissolving into it as the dew formed. I would think that the real problem is the settling out of corrosive aerosols onto the skin whenever the airplane is left exposed to the outside air. Whatever moistens the surface then will put the salt into solution.

Holy crap! We have it made down in the south when it comes to hangers. I just got done paying $150 per month for a brand new T hanger. Now I have a community hanger at $135 per month. I know, nobody likes community hangers but my plane is back in a corner and they don't even have to touch it to get other planes out.

Holy crap! We have it made down in the south when it comes to hangers. I just got done paying $150 per month for a brand new T hanger. Now I have a community hanger at $135 per month. I know, nobody likes community hangers but my plane is back in a corner and they don't even have to touch it to get other planes out.

Where in the South are you? Here in south Florida, hangars START at about $650 ( plus tax!).

Heh. That means they put all the liability on you, since you have to move theirs to get yours out. :)

A friend was co-hangared here locally with a Mirage or Meridian, I forget which. He said moving the bigger more expensive airplane out of the way in the winter with a powered tug on snow and ice was somewhat nerve wracking.

Anyone who parks outside while thinking the insurance company will pay for a hail-damage re-skin should read their policy carefully before doing so. Some expensive surprises (in the form of limitations from such damage) may lurk therein. One large carrier now has a 10% of insured value rider as standard condition of issuance. If you read the policy and find the rider is included, you may be able to ***** at them and get it removed. They did it for me without too much fuss.

Interesting. From a policy found online (i assume this is the sort of language you were referring to):

"If the Aircraft is damaged by hail, We will pay the reasonable cost of repair of the hail damage that affects the airworthiness of the Aircraft after the Aircraft has been repaired. We will also pay an amount not exceeding 10% of the Agreed Value for hail damage that does not affect the airworthiness of the Aircraft. Hail damage that does not result in an immediate grounding of the Aircraft will be deemed to be damage not affecting the airworthiness of the Aircraft."

I'm guessing dimples all over the non control surfaces wouldn't count as affecting the airworthiness.

Back