Question for the fling-wingers

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
I couldn't find the answer to this in Bob's Rotary Wing 101, so I figured I'd just ask: what criteria has to be met to declare "Landing assured?" I hear it a lot from the medevac helos at the hospital as well as the business-helo and police birds coming in from elsewhere, and I've never known when they can say it and what it means as far as ATC services (the tower always seems to want to know)?

I hear it often on JFK tower with the helos landing in an area not viewable by the tower. I've taken it to mean the pilot has a clear, unobstructed view of the landing area and there is no interference with other traffic.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but... I'm thinking it could also be used when landing at a non-towered field under IFR to notify TRACON there will be no issues and the approach and landing will be uneventful.

I'm not sure. I haven't heard it used around here. I'll email a friend who flies a news AStar (and is also a DPE) and see if he knows.

eI always figured landing is assured whenever I lift into a hover since non of the helos I fly can achieve escape velocity and all carry a finite amount of fuel.

Kenny is right. I also hear it addressed to SoCal Approach when helos land at hospitals or other private facilities. It's the "I'm safe" goodbye to ATC.

Joe

I'm not sure. I haven't heard it used around here. I'll email a friend who flies a news AStar (and is also a DPE) and see if he knows.

I often hear Delaware State Police Choppers use it when talking to Wilmington Tower when they're enroute to a hospital. I've always assumed it meant that they have the helipad in site.

I've never seen a formal definition. But I always felt it was more than reporting it in sight and no traffic in the way. When told to report landing assured I have always waited until I could at the very least safely autorotate to the LZ.

Joe

I often hear Delaware State Police Choppers use it when talking to Wilmington Tower when they're enroute to a hospital. I've always assumed it meant that they have the helipad in site.

They've always asked me if I have the LZ in sight, but most of the time I fly below the class B shelf and don't talk to them.

I've never seen a formal definition. But I always felt it was more than reporting it in sight and no traffic in the way. When told to report landing assured I have always waited until I could at the very least safely autorotate to the LZ.

Joe

That's what I wasn't sure...do you have to be able to autorotate to the pad to call Landing Assured, or just have it in sight? And is it only in a non-towered/non-radar/out of view of tower environment, or any time you've been talking to a controller? Does canceling IFR serve the same purpose? Or is it an informal thing that I'm just VASTLY over thinking? :dunno: Not that I have a lot of time sitting around to contemplate things like this in my career field :no::rofl:

It's only in the non-towered/out of view environment. It is a VFR only request as far as I know. I think you may be overthinking it a bit. I may be overly conservative in when I call it too. In an airplane I'd say landing assured when I'm downwind midfield.

Joe

i have landing assured usually as soon as i break ground on tow

I couldn't find the answer to this in Bob's Rotary Wing 101, so I figured I'd just ask: what criteria has to be met to declare "Landing assured?" I hear it a lot from the medevac helos at the hospital as well as the business-helo and police birds coming in from elsewhere, and I've never known when they can say it and what it means as far as ATC services (the tower always seems to want to know)?

I asked around. The term seems to be used in controlled airspace to terminate radar services. For example, when PennStar delivers a patient to HUP, they're landing in the core of Philly class B (as opposed to under the shelf). So when ATC gets an affirmative to the "Landing Assured" question then he knows he doesn't have to deal with you anymore.

I asked around. The term seems to be used in controlled airspace to terminate radar services. For example, when PennStar delivers a patient to HUP, they're landing in the core of Philly class B (as opposed to under the shelf). So when ATC gets an affirmative to the "Landing Assured" question then he knows he doesn't have to deal with you anymore.
Easy enough.

Back