Question for the Dallas pilots (or anyone else familiar)

Arrow115

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I am thinking about flying up to Dallas for a work related visit to the Bush Library on the SMU campus. I was curious to hear from those familiar with the area about what the best airport would be to fly into. Initially, I was thinking Dallas Exec, but since I need to rent a car anyways, I thought I would ask. Thanks.

That is a good choice. They have a good restaurant on the field.
The runways / taxiways are all under construction so just ask for progressive taxi or print out the airport diagram, and listen to the notam and start crossing out chunks of it.

The Bravo is very friendly here. Keep your head on a swivel and watch out for towers.

Dallas Exec would be fine, especially since you're coming from the south. Just read up on the latest NOTAM about the runway and taxiway construction. FBO to use would be Ambassador. Call ahead to reserve the vehicle.

Be on with Flight Following and have KRBD's ATIS info BEFORE you switch over to the Regional Approach controller. The guys who work that sector are much happier with you when you check in with them saying, "Bugmasher 123, Level XXXX, and we have the ATIS at Dallas Executive". The SE section is a busy sector, and you just saved them the trouble of reading it off to you.

6PC's comment about the very tall communication towers is important. Southwest of the field is a cluster of very tall ones reaching up to nearly 2500 ft MSL. Be mindful of them as you descend to the airport.

And Dallas Exec can be a bit tough to pick out of the ground clutter for the first timers. So try using Google Earth to do a "fly through" along your route to familiarize yourself with landmarks. Especially the intersection of I-20 and Highway 67.

Thank you for the advice. I will be IFR. Will definitely pull the ATIS early. I have noticed that most controllers appreciate that.

Just looking at the map with regards to traffic. Seems like a mess in the mornings. Would Mesquite do any better for me? Hard to beat the fuel price, but its a few miles further but seems less affected by traffic. However, I have learned from living in Houston, that traffic maps can be off.

Mesquite would be easier on the flying side for sure since it is outside the general clutter of the Metroplex. Dunno about cars there tho.

Good advice on this thread. I wouldn't count on Mesquite being easier than RBD. It's going to be slow from any direction. If it's a big deal, you can fly in to DAL. It's an easy drive across Mockingbird to SMU, but likely offset by the cost and hassle of Love Field. Full disclosure...I've never flown in there. My DAL opinion is just based on second-hand stories.

All that being said, if it were me, I'd steer towards RBD.

You might consider Addison and using the tollway to get to SMU.

Going in and out of KDAL with a small piston is no big deal. Just be on your game with respect to comms and clearances.

Ask to land on 13L/31R since that's the side where the FBO's are. FBO's to use would be Business Jet Center, Signature, and DalFort Fueling in that order.

As always, have a taxi diagram ready and studied. Tower/ground controllers are happiest when you land knowing where you are, where you're going, and they don't need to progressive taxi you there.

With no fuel purchase, expect a ramp fee of about $25+taxes. Waived if you buy fuel, but KDAL is one of the priciest sources for 100LL.

Our HQ office is in grand Prairie and I fly into there often. Very easy to deal with good fuel, pilot shop, MX on field, Mixed Up Burgers at the FBO and easy access to I30 and the Mexican swap meet for all you Michael Koors, Gfucci, fOakley or other bootleg needs.

Heavy rotorcraft traffic usually.

I spent 4 days last time, no ramp fee, no overnight fee and all I bought was 22 gallons and a burger and fries on my way out.

Solid bet on KGPM in my book. It's my go-to spot.

Let some of us know next time your here... We always are looking for excuses to hold a hangar flying session.

Let some of us know next time your here... We always are looking for excuses to hold a hangar flying session.

I was trying to buy 6PC a Zima and slip in a roofie this weekend but I think he caught wind of my plan. Just like my ex girlfriend, he won't return my call.:(

I left Monday morning. I'll fly to Tulsa on Friday though.

I was trying to buy 6PC a Zima and slip in a roofie this weekend but I think he caught wind of my plan. Just like my ex girlfriend, he won't return my call.:(

I left Monday morning. I'll fly to Tulsa on Friday though.

Sorry about that. I got wrapped up in some other life issues.
If it's not one sick kid, it's the other.

Our HQ office is in grand Prairie and I fly into there often. Very easy to deal with good fuel, pilot shop, MX on field, Mixed Up Burgers at the FBO and easy access to I30 and the Mexican swap meet for all you Michael Koors, Gfucci, fOakley or other bootleg needs.

Heavy rotorcraft traffic usually.

I spent 4 days last time, no ramp fee, no overnight fee and all I bought was 22 gallons and a burger and fries on my way out.

Solid bet on KGPM in my book. It's my go-to spot.
It's a fine airport, but far from SMU. I agree with the others, Red Bird is probably the best bet if you don't want to fly into Love. You'll deal with some traffic, but not horrible.

If you're going to the Bush, just fly to KDAL. Very GA-friendly, you'll almost certainly land on 13L/31R, use Business Jet, taxi time measured in seconds, driving time in single-digit minutes.

I was flying out of Love with 60 hours in my log, easy-peasy.

It's a fine airport, but far from SMU. I agree with the others, Red Bird is probably the best bet if you don't want to fly into Love. You'll deal with some traffic, but not horrible.
I live just north of GPM. Figure a 30-35 minute drive time to the SMU area IF there's not a wreck or just a few stupid drivers clogging things up. I'd go RBD or DAL.

Sorry about that. I got wrapped up in some other life issues.
If it's not one sick kid, it's the other.

I figured.... I ended up with a La Ventana barbacoa burrito and some browsing of the craigslist casual encounters for entertainment. I'll be back soon enough.

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up going into Dallas Exec. Easy in and out. I used Ambassador and they were great. Will definitely use them again of future Dallas trips.

Thanks again.

Back