Question for the CFI's in regards to student supplies

clawz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn P
Well, 20 years after being told I could never be a pilot due to failing an Ishihara at a young age, a chance meeting with a new coworker, and a dizzying last month, I now have my license to learn. Passed my 3rd class medical with no color vision restrictions but have an SI due to my thyroid. FAA just wants labs every year so no big deal. Have it in my hand and it still has not sunk in that I can chase my dream after all these years of being told it was impossible :D

That being said, question for the CFI's out there. What would you like your new students to have with them supply wise starting out? How about by the time they solo?

As of now I was asked just to bring a log book in and I will be asking my CFI during my first lesson on Wednesday but I'm curious as to what other instructors request their students to have.

Right now I just have the log book on the way and I am currently reading through Rod Machado's Private Pilot book, have already read through Bob Gardners Say Again Please plus the Complete Private Pilot. Cannot wait to get up in the air on Wednesday.

AC H-8083-3. It's the federal playbook and how the DPE will grade you.

Congratulations, Shawn :)

Your instructor will tell you what he or she requires you have for your flight training.

For my students:
-Course materials (books/online kit etc, instructors will be different with what they like)
-Plotter
-E6B or electronic equivalent
-Sectional charts/Airport facility directory (wait on these until your instructor tells you you need them since they do expire)
-Student pilot cert/medical
-logbook
-headset (some flight schools will let you borrow a spare but not all)
-Pad of paper/pen for writing down instructions from the tower. Some of my students pick up a kneeboard which I feel helps in organization.

For your first lesson, I would just bring a small pad of paper and a pen to write down what your instructor wants you to have...and of course homework for next time. :)

From a student perspective...I don't bring any study materials, but then again I never sit down and study with my CFI. What I bring to each flight lesson is:

- Logbook and medical (those you must have);
- Notebook with hard cover (this also serves as my writing pad) and a pen;
- Pre-printed sheet for filling out tower/ground frequencies and ATIS information. I clip this to the back of the notebook using a binder clip;
- Sectional/terminal chart(s); and
- Laminated checklist card.

I found that the fewer things I had in the side pocket, the easier things got once up in the air...

Your instructor will tell you what he or she requires you have for your flight training.

For my students:
-Course materials (books/online kit etc, instructors will be different with what they like)
-Plotter
-Sectional charts/Airport facility directory (wait on these until your instructor tells you you need them since they do expire)
-logbook
-Pad of paper/pen for writing down instructions from the tower. Some of my students pick up a kneeboard which I feel helps in organization.

For your first lesson, I would just bring a small pad of paper and a pen to write down what your instructor wants you to have...and of course homework for next time. :)
What she said.

AC H-8083-3. It's the federal playbook and how the DPE will grade you.

Congratulations, Shawn :)

Thanks again Doc :)

While I was checking out flight schools a few weeks ago I asked each of their book recommendations. CFI I chosen had that one on the list so I have a copy on the way, the others above happened to get here first so I started with them.

Thanks again Doc :)

While I was checking out flight schools a few weeks ago I asked each of their book recommendations. CFI I chosen had that one on the list so I have a copy on the way, the others above happened to get here first so I started with them.

In the interest of saving money, most of the FAA books are online in PDF format at the FAA website.

For my students:
-Plotter
-logbook

Thanks for the input. I already plan to ask for a more detailed list during my lesson on Wednesday but as I mentioned I was curious and trying to plan out the best sources for items when the time comes.

What would you like your new students to have with them supply wise starting out?
Whatever textbook the school uses and a logbook. The school should have headsets to rent until you're sure enough you'll stick with it to spend $500 or so on a good ANR headset.

How about by the time they solo?
Headset, kneeboard, local sectional chart, and Airport/Facility Directory.

As of now I was asked just to bring a log book in and I will be asking my CFI during my first lesson on Wednesday
Sounds good to me.

One of the things that bugs me is when a new Student Pilot feels compelled to buy every book and toy which anyone they know happens to suggest. They end up with a bloody suitcase full of stuff, half of which is duplicative, and the other half of which they'll probably never use. Just relax and buy only what your instructor suggests.

Nothing. I loan my students everything they need until they get close to solo. I train folks with careers who fly for fun so if life gets in the way of their hobby, I dont want them strapped with a headset they can't use or books they will not need.

As they get close to solo I tell them to buy a headset (used) a small bag (usually a $15 tool bag from the hardware store) and the FAR/AIM so that they can highlight the parts.

The text book I use is the airplane flying handbook and tell them just to download it.

Flying is expensive enough. Don't buy anything until you know you'll need it and then try to find it used.

For flying, minimalist, as nearly everyone has recommended. To study for the written and for theory, what the instructor recommends but the FAA stuff is very good and is free.

Nothing. I loan my students everything they need until they get close to solo. I train folks with careers who fly for fun so if life gets in the way of their hobby, I dont want them strapped with a headset they can't use or books they will not need.

As they get close to solo I tell them to buy a headset (used) a small bag (usually a $15 tool bag from the hardware store) and the FAR/AIM so that they can highlight the parts.

The text book I use is the airplane flying handbook and tell them just to download it.

Flying is expensive enough. Don't buy anything until you know you'll need it and then try to find it used.

I'll just quibble about that part. Nothing like learning from an out-of-date source and not realizing it until the day of your checkride and the oral portion.

Bob Gardner

I'll just quibble about that part. Nothing like learning from an out-of-date source and not realizing it until the day of your checkride and the oral portion.

Bob Gardner

Agreed, but not too much changes if even 5% per year. I think of someone is that close that the yearly changes might be a consideration, then they probably aren't ready for the test anyway. And caveat, I mean used w/i the last 1-2 years. Plus really just hardware, I don't think any books really need to be bought except maybe an ASA oral guide...and I loan them mine anyway.

Last edited:
Back