Question for Philly folks

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
How long does it take to get from Exton to the area around Bryn Mawr Ave. and Rt. 30 (near Villanova)? Suppose it were a 7:30 meeting near Villanova? How about a bit later, for a 9:30 - 9:45 meeting? I assume the easiest way is just to come in on Rt 30 instead of messing with the Turnpike.

How much further out is Reading, time-wise?

wsuffa said:
How long does it take to get from Exton to the area around Bryn Mawr Ave. and Rt. 30 (near Villanova)? Suppose it were a 7:30 meeting near Villanova? How about a bit later, for a 9:30 - 9:45 meeting? I assume the easiest way is just to come in on Rt 30 instead of messing with the Turnpike.

Don't know crap about Reading.
Exton is about 30 mins from Villanova, faster to take Rt. 30 from Exton to Villanova.

I used to go to school near there.

wsuffa said:

Maybe 8 minutes in an R22. Maybe 20 minutes or an hour depending on the time of day in a car...

Reading is much further...

Exton to Villanova 25-30 minutes.

Villanova to Reading a little over an hour by car on 422 depending on time of day.

Bill when are you comming in. Perhpas some of us can get together. Let us konw?

AdamZ said:
Exton to Villanova 25-30 minutes.

Villanova to Reading a little over an hour by car on 422 depending on time of day.

Adam's got it right Bill. I grew up near Villanova and graduated from Villanova University. Our house which we still own is just north of Exton in Eagle, PA near Bob Bruneau, so I know the area very well. During rush hour traffic can really back up on RT. 30 through Berwyn, Paoli, Devon, Wayne, etc. The Main Line has become a zoo so allow some extra time during rush hour. Exton to Villanova is a goon 30 minutes during rush hour even though its only a few miles. I'd allow 40 minutes to be safe.

Thanks, everybody, that helps with some decisions.

Adam, this trip is still in the planning stages, dates/times uncertain. I'm trying to stack meetings in Philly and DC (job search continues....) and I just don't know yet whether the schedule is do-able. I'll let you know if it looks like I'm a) going to be there and b) will have time for a get together. If it happens, it will be a weekday.

bill

Anthony said:
The Main Line has become a zoo so allow some extra time during rush hour. Exton to Villanova is a goon 30 minutes during rush hour even though its only a few miles. I'd allow 40 minutes to be safe.

Anthony:

The area is probably more of a zoo than you remember!!

Exton to Villanova at 7:30 AM is easily 45 minutes if you go straight out Rt. 30 east. Shortest route but LOTS of lights and traffic. The alternative is Rt. 202 north, I-76 east then I-476 south. This however can be a disaster at 7:30AM. At 9:30AM, that route is better and I would use it at that time of day.

A another possible is Rt. 100 north to the PA turnpike, head east to the Valley Forge exit, I-76 east toward Philla then I-476 south to the Rt. 30 intersection. The turnpike is a breeze, I-76 and I-476 most likely won't be at 7:30 AM, by 9:30 AM most of the traffic will have moved out and it won't be bad.

There are a number of back roads that you could use. directions are more complicated.

Reading is a decent hike from Exton. I would probably take Rt. 100 north to the PA Turnpike, follow that west to I-176 north into Reading. Should be able to do that in less than an hour.

My office is in Exton, so if you need some local info, drop me an e-mail.

Gary said:
Anthony:

The area is probably more of a zoo than you remember!!

Exton to Villanova at 7:30 AM is easily 45 minutes if you go straight out Rt. 30 east. Shortest route but LOTS of lights and traffic. The alternative is Rt. 202 north, I-76 east then I-476 south. This however can be a disaster at 7:30AM. At 9:30AM, that route is better and I would use it at that time of day.

A another possible is Rt. 100 north to the PA turnpike, head east to the Valley Forge exit, I-76 east toward Philla then I-476 south to the Rt. 30 intersection. The turnpike is a breeze, I-76 and I-476 most likely won't be at 7:30 AM, by 9:30 AM most of the traffic will have moved out and it won't be bad.

There are a number of back roads that you could use. directions are more complicated.

Reading is a decent hike from Exton. I would probably take Rt. 100 north to the PA Turnpike, follow that west to I-176 north into Reading. Should be able to do that in less than an hour.

My office is in Exton, so if you need some local info, drop me an e-mail.

Gary. I rarely used Rt 30 to get anywhere when we lived there. Being so close to the turnpike interchange, I would always use that. I really didn't need to go to that area during rush hour anyway. The problem is they are trying to turn Upper Uwcland Twp into Exton as we speak. Going north on Rt 100 through Eagle is a mess, although they are building a bypass around Eagle. If you keep going north you just see more houses and retail development on either side of 100.

Personally, I'd skip the PA Turnpike 'cause as often as not the Valley Forge exit is backed up in the morning.

The main line Route 30 is not a bad drive...it does take longer than it should because of traffic but it is not bad. Stay out of the left lane to avoid the people stuck trying to make left turns.

Route 202 is typically backed up from around Downingtown to the Route 401 exit in the morning, so that would increase drive time by about 10 minutes.

Route 422 from the Sanatoga exit to the First Avenue exit near Valley Forge park is a slow ride in the morning and the opposite direction is usually packed in the afternoon.

Len
Lives near 401 & 202
Takes cars to shop on Route 30 near Villanova
Works behind the VF Convention Center near 422 & VF Park

Bill, one additional thing. If you need any info or 'advance work' done on any of the companies your interviewing with in the South Easter PA area by all means drop me a line. Chances are between all the board members who live in the area we will have a connection or know something.

It would be great to have you join our ranks.

AdamZ said:
Bill, one additional thing. If you need any info or 'advance work' done on any of the companies your interviewing with in the South Easter PA area by all means drop me a line. Chances are between all the board members who live in the area we will have a connection or know something.

It would be great to have you join our ranks.

Thanks Adam, check your PM....

bill

Stay off of 422 in the mornings. I'm on there from Royersford to Valley Forge every morning. 11 miles... I allow 45 minutes, and don't always get to work on time.

Back