Question for Philly area pilots

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Anyone happen to have an idea of the push times for Philly International? I've got a guy here at work insisting that GA planes are not allowed to land at international airports and that I'll be arrested if I do it. I've decided that some pics and video of me landing there this weekend and not getting arrested would be fun to provide. Not to mention, I've never been into that big an airport, and it would be interesting, not to mention some cool sightseeing over Philly.

Joe Williams said:
Anyone happen to have an idea of the push times for Philly International? I've got a guy here at work insisting that GA planes are not allowed to land at international airports and that I'll be arrested if I do it. I've decided that some pics and video of me landing there this weekend and not getting arrested would be fun to provide. Not to mention, I've never been into that big an airport, and it would be interesting, not to mention some cool sightseeing over Philly.

Philly is GA friendly. They have a seperate runway for us little guys and a great FBO. Call Atlantic Aviation, the FBO for details and fees which are relatively inexpensive.

Oh yeah, I live in Denver, what do I know.

Joe, a quick call to FSS or Philly tower can net you their "push" info. Charlotte posts theirs on a web site....

Joe Williams said:
Anyone happen to have an idea of the push times for Philly International?

Departure push is around 10AM and goes to about 11:30AM
Arrival Push starts around 1:30/2PM until 3:30/4PM and then a moderate amount of traffic until the...
In'tl push from 6:30PM-8PM

Joe Williams said:
I've got a guy here at work insisting that GA planes are not allowed to land at international airports and that I'll be arrested if I do it.

Not true at all. Atlantic Aviation is great and are very friendly to GA.

Joe Williams said:
I've decided that some pics and video of me landing there this weekend and not getting arrested would be fun to provide. Not to mention, I've never been into that big an airport, and it would be interesting, not to mention some cool sightseeing over Philly.

PHL is a great airport and the controllers there are pretty good; especially with the "small guys" as they call us. Don't hesitate to call the TRACON/Tower and ask them what time the big pushes are...they rather take a few minutes to tell you then to have to sequence you when there is a big push.

Obviously, posting here is also a good option and doesn't tie up the line with the Philly facilities, but feel free to call them; they're very nice folks and I have a few contacts in the TRACON there.

Let us know how it goes!!

Jason -

Is there any advantage to filing and coming in IFR to a major airport? And is it true that VFR traffic can sometimes get out faster?

RotaryWingBob said:
Is there any advantage to filing and coming in IFR to a major airport?
The only one I can see is that the TMU in the facilities you depart from, arrive to, and transit through can make sure the proper sequencing is in place for your arrival. All this means is that the TMU at the facilities will make special planning with the other facilities to get you in correctly and at the right time. I'm not really an expert on that subject, so that's a great question for the folks at PHL TRACON.

RotaryWingBob said:
And is it true that VFR traffic can sometimes get out faster?
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. It depends on many factors, such as pushes, runway configurations, controllers on shift, weather, etc. It is very dependant on those factors as well as the exact curcumstances pertaining to the flight. Again, a good question for the folks in the particular TRACON you're flying into. There are a whole bunch of other things that the controller can use when VFR, so that may be one advantage to going in VFR. These include [automatically] implied visual separation, less separation required between VFR and other VFR and IFR, etc. The disadvantage, is that you might get bopped around because the sequencing wasn't pre-planned by a TMU. YMMV.

Last edited:
Joe,

On a Saturday or Sunday it is very easy to get into PHL...it is easier if they can assign you 17 with a hold short of 27R.

Len

GO JOE! Post those pix here too, and let us know how it goes with Mr. Knowitall.

I've been thinking about a hop to KPHL too, or some other big 'drome. The biggest I've been to are small C/TRSA types (KACY and Scrnt-WilkesBar).

We'll go next weekend. Cathy reminded me we are short of cash this payday after buying an air conditioner for the upstairs, and informs that we will not blow 10 of our few remaining dollars on a landing fee. We'll stick with our original plan, and go to Andover/Aeroflex and walk through the park this weekend. It's a beautiful flight, anyway :)

Thanks for all the input, should be fun!

Joe Williams said:
We'll go next weekend. Cathy reminded me we are short of cash this payday after buying an air conditioner for the upstairs, and informs that we will not blow 10 of our few remaining dollars on a landing fee. We'll stick with our original plan, and go to Andover/Aeroflex and walk through the park this weekend. It's a beautiful flight, anyway :)

Thanks for all the input, should be fun!
That's one beautiful airport, Joe, one of my favorites :yes:

Have a safe flight, and don't land long :no:

Joe,

Technology is our friend...have'em Google Earth Philadelphia International, scroll over and zoom in on the Atlantic Aviation apron....you will probably see a few GA type planes.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Joe,

Technology is our friend...have'em Google Earth Philadelphia International, scroll over and zoom in on the Atlantic Aviation apron....you will probably see a few GA type planes.

Len

But then I'd lose my excuse to make a 20 nm flight to Philly International LOL.

Who needs an excuse to fly.

Google Earth Boston Logan shows at least one single engine on the ramp.

Sadly there is nothing parked on the GA ramp at Washington National.

Len

Same with Baltimore. Hell, I am learning there :)

Own runway and own ramp. Very nice setup.

SP

Call Atlantic before you go in on landing fee though. My last time in there I paid $60 for a C172:eek: Time before that $40. I think $40 is the going rate, and I got, well, you know, the last time.

Otherwise, PHL is as GA friendly as all here say.

Jim G

spryde said:
Same with Baltimore. Hell, I am learning there :)

Own runway and own ramp. Very nice setup.

SP
BWI is really two airports: a giant class B international airport which happens to be connected to a class delta GA airport. Cool place.

Too bad it too is under the Damn ADIZ.

infotango said:
BWI is really two airports: a giant class B international airport which happens to be connected to a class delta GA airport. Cool place.

Too bad it too is under the Damn ADIZ.

Eh, I have about 6 hours logged and I am not finding it too much of a hassle. Especially since I fly out of BWI and such. I really would love to see it go away as I can see it being a hassle coming out of a uncontrolled field.

SP

You can see the arrival push at major US airports here. The white horizontal line represents capacity. There's no equivalent for departure pushes, unfortunately.

Regards,
Joe

Back