Question for GNS430 Nerds

PilotSpike

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotSpike
I flew the VOR/DME RWY4 into ROC the other night on my sim and came away with a usage question regarding the 430.

The missed on the plate has you climb to the NE, then to the N, before turning direct to the BREIT LOM for the hold. The 430, on the missed, sets the course direct from the MAP to BREIT. Practically speaking, once you make the climb to the north, what is the preferred method of syncing the 430 with the correct flight path? Would you select BREIT on the Flight Plan page and then select direct?

John

Once you're at 3000 on a heading of 360, then I'd select BREIT and go direct.

The way I read the missed is that you climb out straight ahead to 1300, then turn left heading 360 and climb to 3000, and only THEN (heading north at 3000) do you make the turn to the right direct BREIT.

Tim's got it -- don't hit the OBS button to unsuspend until you're ready to turn to the MA hold point, which in this case would be when you roll out on the 360 heading.

Don't kwow about the straight 430. But on the 430W the moment you sequence to BREIT (unsuspend), it's direct, direct, enter and it'll put you in the hold!

And the best thing about the 430W .... it doesn't get tired of holding. I just wish you could create a hold at any fix/radial/dme. In the glass Hawker, it's just scroll, point, click, and you've got a hold. Not fair.

-Felix

Thanx! I had not thought about delaying the pressing of the OBS button until ready to navigate to the hold.

Back