Question for everyone

U

Unregistered

So like every other little boy in the world that didn't want to be a cop or a soldier, I wanted to be a pilot. One thing led to another and at 26 I'm finally able to look into this as a "inside 6 months" plan. (geez and they said you can't do anything fun after marriage)

And now that I'm looking more into this I'm concerned, really concerned.
A couple of years back for a job physical I'm sitting there doing the vision test, read things nice and fine (even offered to try to make out the copyright [or what looked like a copyright]).

well up came a new test to me and the nurse says "okay, now tell me what numbers you see". I couldn't even make out the first blob of dots (in my defense it had the awesome DOL test setup with the aged and yellow stained plastic, and super yellow light... it looked gray scale to me). She says "okay, then you're colorblind".

I sat still just dumbfounded for a good 10 minutes as I thought through all the scary things I've missed in live, the art assignments I screwed up, that PH test in 7th grade! aghh... colorblind.

but not really, well not bad. Can't seem to pass the dots test, saw this one java app that you arranged the colors from light to dark, passed that. Got traffic signals down without a problem. What's a good example of what to expect?

So, before I walk into a doctors office I'd like to know can I ask the type of test given before hand when searching out a doctor, can I ask for some other test to be performed before I fail at the bowl of skittles?

ohh... and there's more.

I have an anxiety disorder, nothing horrid, I can function just fine. Only got iffy once and I challenge anyone to not get a little lightheaded in that situation (2 month into on my own, 3 month of a job, and big angry ex-marine drill sgt as my manager in fast food got alittle unhappy with the speed at which I was making a whoper...).

But is this something that will cause me problems? I don't take medication, have a small prescription of 20 pills that I'm halfway through in 2 years.

Is there a way to have an AME give me a medical thorough physical without it being official?

(it'd really be pretty terrible to be an aircraft electrical engineer, that can't work on airplanes and also couldn't fly... think I'd have to find another field at that point)

Thanks,
the over anxious new guy that will eventually be "uncoolperson"

Guess I should have waited. Sorry about the grammatical and spelling errors.

Never mind all that other stuff, if you can flip burgers somebody will pick you up and bring you to the Gaston's fly-in next year. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm no help on your real questions, but know some other pilots who struggled with the dots and got it worked out OK. Dunno about the pills, but our in-house main-man wizard will. Hope it all works out.

Contact Dr. Bruce Chien, through the PM feature.

Contact Dr. Bruce Chien, through the PM feature.

Ditto on that. There are several different color vision tests acceptable to the FAA and you'd be well advised to know your options before applying for a medical certificate (which you won't need until you solo). If you don't have trouble distinguishing between the red and green of a traffic light (without cheating by using the relative position of the signals etc) I think you'll find you can pass some of the tests. And IIRC the one you had trouble with is the toughest. Dr Chien will give you the proper guidance (for free no less!)

I forgot another one

a very mild familial tremor.

normal person drinking 3 cups of coffee is about where I am normally.

outside of awesome medical science no aspirations of commercial, I want to fly, and would like to eventually have a fly to cabin in my home state (Alaska)

outside of awesome medical science no aspirations of commercial, I want to fly, and would like to eventually have a fly to cabin in my home state (Alaska)

Sport pilot doesn't require a "medical" - assuming that you don't have any medical issues that would make it unsafe for you to be the pilot in command - thay may be an option (but not if you fail the 3rd class medical exam).

PM me with your "hard" email address, or use .............

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back