Question for Dr. Bruce or others

ronnieh

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie
I have started on a BP medicine that is approved. I think Dr. Bruce provided a link to the paperwork required from my GP to my airman medical examiner. I can't remember if it was a form to fill out or a list of items needed after starting the BP medicine. Dr. Bruce can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I can help with this.

Likely he referred you to the Hypertension Worksheet.

Attached is my "better formatted" version of the same sheet.

In here, you can fill out much of ut with your name, DOB, History, etc. But the doctor needs to fill out the lines from the "Risk Factors" on down, and then sign it.

Make sure you get the ECG strip and a copy of the blood labs and values for the items shown (Fasting sugar, Lipids, Potasium, etc).

This is the sheet I submitted with a plain language status letter when I got my first medical. Both the AME and OKC accepted it on the first go.

Edit to add: On the medications, list all of the meds you're currently taking, not just the BP ones.

As Dr. Bruce has pointed out in discussions about Diabetes, there are a few meds out there for different conditions that while singly are okay, but when combined, are are the "no way-no how" list.

Attachments

• FAA HYPERTENSION EVALUATION WORKSHEET 2.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
No sugar problems at all. I can pass the second class without meds but my GP wants my BP lower than it is. I hover around the low 140's. Diagnosis is mild hypertension. Hopefull it will not be a problem. But, I have to jump through the hoops. Yours says 90 days and my airman examiner says 180 days? Thanks!

Last edited:
ronnieh, the sheet has to be signed (and the BPs) within 90 days prior to the exam (or to the notification of FAA). The EKG: the agency gives you a break and I have had them get through 180 days out, but never longer. The lab needs to be within 90 days....

I like AggieMike's reformating. The original was by Dr. Gordon Ritter, the revision by Dr. Greg Pinnell. The reformat will do fine. So will a brief letter from the doc saying: "Well controlled HTN on: (List ALL MEDS), no side effects, not being followed for coronary disease" and accompanied by lab and EKG.

ronnieh, the sheet has to be signed (and the BPs) within 90 days prior to the exam (or to the notification of FAA). The EKG: the agency gives you a break and I have had them get through 180 days out, but never longer. The lab needs to be within 90 days....

Is the sheet just for the first issuance with hypertension or is it for all subsequent?

All that is needed in subsequent (24 monthly) is the doc's letter, which has to contain essentially what's in my prior post....

Thanks Dr. Bruce and Aggie. Is that 24 months even though it is a second? New letter each exam or every other?

All that is needed in subsequent (24 monthly) is the doc's letter, which has to contain essentially what's in my prior post....
Exactly. When I got my "mid term" issuance, all I asked my primary doc to include the the "combo" status letter (I'm SI'd for Sleep Apnea and DM2 pill controlled) was a statement to the effect of "Mr. Farlow is showing improvement in his hypertension. His most recent BP was 125/85. He is taking Lisonopril and Pravastatin at XXmg and YY mg respectively, once daily and reports no side effects from the medication."

My AME literally read the letter like a checklist and had a positive comment on how I kept it simple and to the point and made his job easy.

The best thing to do is to take this initial letter as the highest you're ever gonna let it get. Then get busy doing what's needed with diet and exercise to get it lower.

Mine is to have it be within the top of normal range or a bit by the next doctor visit.

Thanks Dr. Bruce and Aggie. Is that 24 months even though it is a second? New letter each exam or every other?
Primary Doctor's comment about your BP should be in each letter. The can has been opened. You and your doc need to demonstrate you're doing the right things to keep all them worms inside.

I like AggieMike's reformating. The original was by Dr. Gordon Ritter, the revision by Dr. Greg Pinnell. The reformat will do fine. So will a brief letter from the doc saying: "Well controlled HTN on: (List ALL MEDS), no side effects, not being followed for coronary disease" and accompanied by lab and EKG.
Thank you Dr. Bruce.

The original is the one you pointed me to on the AOPA website. But the formatting didn't survive their reposting. And I did ensure credit to Drs. Ritter and Pinnell are displayed at the bottom.

As always guys and galls, OWN YOUR MEDICAL! And make sure everything you need to send to OKC is there, but kept in a simple easy to read format.

The reviewers are tasked with looking over an ever increasing quantity of documents. Anything we as airmen can do to simplify the task goes a long way toward speeding up the issuance of your and our medicals.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back