Question for Colorado pilots

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
In early/mid-May, does snow remain on the higher peaks?

Is May/June an equally beautiful time to fly in the Rockies as any other? I keep reading about how winter is a majestic time to fly. How does the scenery look during the snow melt, or right after the snow melt? I would imagine gross looking... I hope to be told I am wrong! (Because I am thinking of going mountain flying in May/June).

Yes. A-basin ski area is often open into Memorial wknd. Yes, early summer or late spring is great flying in the Rockies. It often avoids the heat storms generated later in the year.

Why wait? Clear sunny days right now are the best time to fly. No density altitude to worry about and no +100F temps in the cabin. More careful when dealing with the passes (can be very, very windy, which means another route or don't go...)

June is the beginning of TStorm season.

Why wait? Clear sunny days right now are the best time to fly. No density altitude to worry about and no +100F temps in the cabin. More careful when dealing with the passes (can be very, very windy, which means another route or don't go...)

June is the beginning of TStorm season.

Unfortunately, I can't get out there until then. I am trying to schedule a mountain flying checkout for early to mid-May. Then I have a wedding in Denver so I am planning on renting a plane and doing some mountain flying in early June.

When I was there two years ago in early June there was still snow on every peak that was at or above 12,000. I didn't get to fly, but Rocky Mountain Natural Park is still beautiful either way.

Snow that late in the year is pretty much a 50/50 chance depending what kind of snowfall we get this year and how hot the spring is. If this winter is anything like the last few it will probably look more like the second picture than the first, especially on the front range.

Also, it can get pretty windy in May/June and density altitude could be an issue depending on what airport you plan on going to.

Last edited:
THIS GROUP IS A GOOD SOURCE OF INFORMATION ABOUT FLYING IN CO.

AND THEY HAVE A MOUNTAIN FLYING CLASS IN JUNE.

http://coloradopilots.org/

Unfortunately, I can't get out there until then. I am trying to schedule a mountain flying checkout for early to mid-May. Then I have a wedding in Denver so I am planning on renting a plane and doing some mountain flying in early June.

Last edited:
Hi there I was wondering if anyone knows a good vfr route from Colorado Springs over the Rockies to Nevada? Aircraft would most likely be a cirrus sr20

I have been snowmobiling on the 4th of July before in Jackson Hole... Well a bit north by Yellowstone up at 12,000 feet+, and with this years snow pack , I hope to try that stunt again...

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knows a good vfr route from Colorado Springs over the Rockies to Nevada? Aircraft would most likely be a cirrus sr20

From here to there? Just go a little south. You're not going to gain any time picking through the mountains. Down to FTI and then across the rest of the way. Easy peasy.

What part of Nevada? For Vegas just head toward I-40 and turn right when ya see it. May as well take the San Luis Valley for the southern leg. If you're headed toward Reno then a slightly different route might be in order. Basically follow US 50 west to the western slope of the Colorado Rockies then go find I-80.

Your gonna love flying up here! This is northwest of Fort Collins 2 weeks ago on way to Steamboat Springs. The air was smooth, scenery was so nice I didn't want to land. Just a perfect flying day but after spending 4.7 hours flying that day I was getting little tired

Snow exists in the Zirkel wilderness through almost entire summer up here in Northern Colorado.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
In early/mid-May, does snow remain on the higher peaks?

Is May/June an equally beautiful time to fly in the Rockies as any other? I keep reading about how winter is a majestic time to fly. How does the scenery look during the snow melt, or right after the snow melt? I would imagine gross looking... I hope to be told I am wrong! (Because I am thinking of going mountain flying in May/June).

This is end of June last year over Steamboat springs, not that ugly in my opinion.:no:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 28
One my my favorite photos from the first year we lived in Colorado was standing on a lift line in a snowstorm. July 4 at A-Basin.

One my my favorite photos from the first year we lived in Colorado was standing on a lift line in a snowstorm. July 4 at A-Basin.
Or shorts & tshirts playing golf or tennis in January in Denver when it's 70+ deg.

Your gonna love flying up here! This is northwest of Fort Collins 2 weeks ago on way to Steamboat Springs. The air was smooth, scenery was so nice I didn't want to land. Just a perfect flying day but after spending 4.7 hours flying that day I was getting little tired

Snow exists in the Zirkel wilderness through almost entire summer up here in Northern Colorado.

Wow!!

What altitude was that pic taken??

Here is another pic same flight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Best flying in Colorado mountains is "the day after the storm" (like today). It's high pressure, there is fresh snow on the trees and the air is usually smooth. Winter is best actually. But summer is good too. The snow stays up high clear until August. Some stays year round.

It's spectacular.

Here's a picture I took one year ago yesterday, returning to Denver from Orange County. This is about 50 miles SW of Aspen, looking NE, FL180. As you can see, still a lot of snow at the end of March, and not a lot of it melts in April. There's even more snow up there this year, so you'll be in for some nice viewing in May.

untitled%20shoot%2020130325%201290-XL.jpg

Back