Question for a Garmin 430 guru

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
One of the pa28's in our local rental herd is equipped with a 430. I've only flown with it a couple of times, and I've liked almost everything about it. The only question I have is this...

How do you test the volume of the radio when there is no radio traffic on the frequency?

I'm obviously used to the old school radios where there is a "test" option and it produces static for you so that you can adjust the volume. This has always been a reassuring way for me to make sure that I'm ready to make (and receive) transmissions. I can't find such a feature on the 430.

The field on which this is located is a fairly low traffic field and doesn't have automated weather or any other such thing transmitting that I can tune to. I also don't want to "radio check" every time I fire up.

Without using this plane very often, it's hard for me to just trust that I have everything set up correctly.

I've read through the manual. Am I just missing this feature somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

FlyNE said:
One of the pa28's in our local rental herd is equipped with a 430. I've only flown with it a couple of times, and I've liked almost everything about it. The only question I have is this...

How do you test the volume of the radio when there is no radio traffic on the frequency?

I'm obviously used to the old school radios where there is a "test" option and it produces static for you so that you can adjust the volume. This has always been a reassuring way for me to make sure that I'm ready to make (and receive) transmissions. I can't find such a feature on the 430.

The field on which this is located is a fairly low traffic field and doesn't have automated weather or any other such thing transmitting that I can tune to. I also don't want to "radio check" every time I fire up.

Without using this plane very often, it's hard for me to just trust that I have everything set up correctly.

I've read through the manual. Am I just missing this feature somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Press the volume button to disable the automatic squelch control. You'll get static that will allow you to adjust the volume.

James Dean

James_Dean said:
Press the volume button to disable the automatic squelch control. You'll get static that will allow you to adjust the volume.

James Dean

Thanks, James. Of course it had to be that simple. I'll give it a try the next time I'm out there.

And, BTW, same drill for the NAV radio as well.

The more you play with the 430, the more you love it.

Remember, if you get lost in the menus, press and hold the "CLR" key, and it will pop back to the NAV page.

Also, in a bind, big knob on the right turned all the way left, puts you at NAV; all the way to the right, "Nearest." As in, nearest airport, navaid, ARTCC, etc.

I miss the days of 430s and 530s and flying for half the cost.

Back