Question About

A

Anonymous Emu

As discussed in a recent thread in this section of this forum titled "Conversion from foreign license after FAA Class 3 medical denied", a person in the United States may use an overseas license and medical to fly under part 61.75 but appears to also be possible to get with
Private Pilot (61.75)
Commercial Pilot (61.123(h))
Airline Transport Pilot (61.153(d)(3))
Flight Engineer/Flight Navigator (63.23 or 63.42)
Special Purpose Pilot authorization (61.77)

All according to the IARCA website. It looks like it gives me an option to choose what kind of authorization I need.

But I do have some questions regarding this procedure.
Say for example, I get a private pilots license and a class 1 medical in Australia. The class 1 medical was meant to continue training beyond the private pilot level. What happens if I immigrate to the United States and I want to do just that? I can't find anything in the CFR that says I'll need to get a US medical when I go beyond the private pilot level.

Do airlines in America require a US medical over an overseas one?

Ratings are one thing.
But to operate an N registered aircraft you need an FAA medical.
Reciprocity - that's where the rub is.

As Bruce says, a US airline is going to require a US ATP certificate. You can't exercise a US ATP (or even commercial) certificate without a US-issued medical. The foreign medical thing is limited to private certificates issued based on foreign license. Further, unless you have some sort of family preference, you're not got a path to "immigrate" to the US unless you are fully qualified (ATPL) and a citizen of Australia (and there's no indication how long that window might stay open). You can't even train here unless you get an F1 or M1 visa and those are non-immigrant.

I'm not seeing why you think any of those other certificates let you do that. Nothing in the regs supports that. What you can type into IARCA means squat. For practical purposes, flight engineers and navigators have gone the way of the dodo except for certain antiquated platforms (Certainly they are gone from passneger service, some cargo and firebombers are still using aircraft that require an engineer).

The key here is to get the nature of the deficiency qualified and success at US-FAA. NOT for the faint of heart nor time, nor for the Faint of wallet (Unfortunately).

Last edited:
>> Question About

Really poor job of drafting a meaningful subject line, Emu... no wonder you chose anonymity! :)

Paul

Back