Question about weather stations (ATIS, ASOS, AWOS) @ Class D airports

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
For Class D airports, how is the choice of weather station or service determined?

Case study: At my home drome, KDTO, we are a Class-D have and have ASOS reporting station. Near by is KAFW, also a Class-D, and they utilize an ATIS system.

What triggers the "step up" to the ATIS?

For Class D airports, how is the choice of weather station or service determined?

Case study: At my home drome, KDTO, we are a Class-D have and have ASOS reporting station. Near by is KAFW, also a Class-D, and they utilize an ATIS system.

What triggers the "step up" to the ATIS?

Both KDTO and KAFW have ASOS, KAFW also has ATIS. Why does KAFW have ATIS while KDTO does not? Could be money, frequency availability, perceived need, etc.

Both KDTO and KAFW have ASOS, KAFW also has ATIS. Why does KAFW have ATIS while KDTO does not? Could be money, frequency availability, perceived need, etc.

Checking AirNav.com, you're correct KAFW has ASOS.

attachment.php

Didn't think about that they had ASOS since I've always included "information ___" on my initial call. Never looked until a moment ago.

Attachments

• ASOS.jpg
    ASOS.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 143
Also in your area I think it's interesting that KADS has ATIS when the tower is open but nothing when the tower is closed, not even ASOS.

Also in your area I think it's interesting that KADS has ATIS when the tower is open but nothing when the tower is closed, not even ASOS.

KADS has AWOS around the clock but it isn't broadcast directly. When the tower is open controllers put the weather observation on the ATIS recording.

KADS has AWOS around the clock but it isn't broadcast directly. When the tower is open controllers put the weather observation on the ATIS recording.
That doesn't help after hours at which point you need to use KDAL's information.

That doesn't help after hours at which point you need to use KDAL's information.

You use the KDAL altimeter when the KADS altimeter is not available. The KADS altimeter should be available to regional approach around the clock, unless the AWOS itself is out of service.

You use the KDAL altimeter when the KADS altimeter is not available. The KADS altimeter should be available to regional approach around the clock, unless the AWOS itself is out of service.
I know you can get the KDAL ATIS. The KADS weather is not available to Regional Approach. At least they don't give it out. They just ask if we have gotten the KDAL ATIS.

I know you can get the KDAL ATIS. The KADS weather is not available to Regional Approach. At least they don't give it out. They just ask if we have gotten the KDAL ATIS.

They may not be giving it out, but I find it hard to believe it's not available to them.

As previously noted, the controllers include the weather on the ATIS when the tower is open. Most airports with an ASOS and an ATIS, have an ATIS/ASOS Interface Switch. When he tower is open, the ATIS broadcasts and when the tower closes, the controller flips the switch so the ASOS broadcasts over the ATIS. KADS apparently doesn't have an AAIS.

Why can you get a TAF for some airports with weather service and not others? And why do they have 5 different places to get gas at the airport and they all charge different prices? And ....

Glenn

Back