Question about steep turns

Guess I'm jaded, as I assumed that since the guy who started this thread was new and his question sure sounded familiar, maybe he was KT.

LOL! No worries. I would have suspected the same thing if I read it two days ago. Wow what a week with that one... Everywhere. I couldn't click on anything anywhere without seeing the rant again. Haha.

So my question was if you can make a steep turn (at least 45 degrees) while you maintain minimum speed ( on the edge of the stall), nobody provided a clear answer yet unfortunately but thanks for trying to help :)
still waiting for the genius to solve this issue.
You can do that but "on the edge of a stall" will be a faster airspeed at 45 degrees than at 15 degrees, that is if you are talking about a coordinated turn, maintaining altitude.

When banking in a turn:

Using the horizon as a frame of reference that gravity acts perpendicular to. In a turn, the lift vector is broken into a vertical and horizontal components. The horizontal component's equal and opposite reaction is centrifugal force. If you sum the weight vector with the centrifugal force vector, the resultant vector is the load vector. It must be greater than the load vector during level flight since there is no centrifugal force vector to add to it.

imagefvn.jpg

Typical FAA Aerodynamic BullPoop. This explanation is WROING, WRONG, WRONG.

First off, if the forces were balanced, the airplane wouldn't turn. That's the point. Absent the horizontal component of lift in that picture, the aircraft would continue to go in a straight line.
There is no such force as the one depicted as "Centrifugal force" and "Load factor" isn't a force.

The definition of coordination is that the tail of the aircraft is following the front. Without the tail, the aircraft wouldn't turn either, it would just skid to the left in the above picture

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf
pilot_handbook.pdf

Figure 5-62 on page 5-41 explains Radius of turn with the method for computing it a couple of pages earlier. Radius increases with the square of velocity. I just stumbled onto this looking for something else, and don't remember seeing it before. The picture was supposed to be of the actual page but it didn't link properly. Anyone interested can plug the numbers in and calculate their minimum radius.

The thing about this whole thread as I read it is the OP was talking about turning. I would think that for most pilots out there flying around, if we are banking we are turning. Exception I suppose would be a side slip. Who banks at 30* to fly straight unless you are doing acro or some such. Presentation of information is important even if it is accurate.

The thing about this whole thread as I read it is the OP was talking about turning. I would think that for most pilots out there flying around, if we are banking we are turning. Exception I suppose would be a side slip. Who banks at 30* to fly straight unless you are doing acro or some such. Presentation of information is important even if it is accurate.
I did it yesterday. Full power, full right rudder, as much left bank as I could without turning, level.

It was for a nadir photograph out the left rear window.

But the more relevant scenario is poor coordination by a student pilot, or allowing the aircraft to descend in the turn.

If a pilot ever gets into a dead end turn around chances are it will be hot and you will be heavy. Anticipate it and turn around somewhere where you have room and fly at Vy and do 45 degrees or less bank. If you are really headed for a wall, well, lets not go there. Just do a 180 before you get there. Always leave yourself an out....

Back