Question about Socal approach and flight following

No, I get flight following on the ground from Palo Alto all the time. I only have to change my code when Oakland doesn't get the message it's flight following rather than a Class C transition and drops me at the far edge of Class C (and I call them again to reestablish flight following).

Hayward is so exceptionally close to the Oakland Class C that I'm flabbergasted they don't do flight following from the ground all the time, if only to handle the inevitable Class C transition. JHC, they are close enough that they have a 600 foot pattern altitude to avoid TCAS RAs on airliners landing on OAK 30.

They normally always did when requested, and I always did, it makes life a lot easier for everyone involved if I'm heading north.

MYF has always given me a beacon code and a handoff when vfr when asked for it. CRQ from time to time i've gotten it. Especially when the weather isn't clear and a million.

MYF ground hasn't done that since I started flying there (2013)...but they ask you for direction of flight and then give you the appropriate frequency. Always very professional.

They do coordinate SAN and NKX transitions, though.

Last time i flew there was in 2012, and they were more than happy to do it. :)

The thing about San Diego is that no one would ever fly there if they actually enforced the airspace. . . .

that said - no one should be afraid of that almost all Class B airspace for Miramar and Lindbergh - there is a gap over the city between 3200 and 6800 . . . and today- I took off from Gillespie - and was cleared to a right downwind departure from tower so I just Vx'd it all the way and was 1000AGL at the end of the runway - and out of 2500' near the end of the downwind - above the Delta - called approach - they radar id'd me over the airport at 3000 still climbing hard and they asked me what I wanted . . .

Direct Oceanside and 4500 - and thats what they gave me. I was easily inside the Bravo almost all the way to OCN and over Miramar - no big deal.

When Miramar isn't flying it's definitely easy to get that clearance, I've even gotten direct to SEE from Catalina before without even asking for it.

Back