Question about Restricted Airports on Sectionals

rhkennerly

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
rhkennerly
I know the textbook definition of a “restricted airport” on the sectional.

however, I was looking for some interesting strips to fly in to and got to checking the details on some of the nearby Restricted airports. Some were company or privately owned strips with virtually no published information. Fair enough. Restricted.

However, I found some marked Restricted but with fuel for sale, intercom, office hours, restrooms, lounge, airport manager, & even FBOs listed (in ForeFlight). Some even had beaneries & a list of nearby motels.

So…what’s the deal with these Restricted airports with all the amenities? Invite only? Call on Unicom and ask to land? Or is it about liability of operating a “public” airport & they’re wink-wink operations?

I would call the airport manager and ask…
:yeahthat:
Privately owned airports vary a lot in what they have and what level of public access they permit. Some are truly private - owners/members and their guests only. Some have businesses on the airport and are pretty much open to anyone who comes for the purpose. The Pik n Pig, (temporarily closed due to a fire) is a local example. The airport used to be "restricted" but locals all knew you were welcome to fly in to eat. That's actually pretty common.

And all sorts of variations in between. One of the things I love about flying with friends who have flown here in their own airplanes for a long time is the number of private airports I have been able to visit. They all know where they are allowed and where they are not welcome.

Best ways to find out are (a) checking for a website (many with public access have them), (b) calling the airport manager, and (c) local pilot groups (I'd bet the local EAA chapter members know all of them!)

Back