question about new pool finish

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I just had my swimming pool refinished with an exposed aggregate..

But the new pool finish seems to have a mottled gray, dirty look over the new surface. The pool company says it just needs continued brushing a few times a week for a few months to get the gray out. I have been brushing and brushing and I am not seeing any results.

Is this normal? I can try to get pictures later, but it is hard to get a good picture with through the water.

We had ours similarly refinished 2 years ago and were instructed to keep the ph low (I don't remember how low) for the next couple of weeks and brush twice daily. I think the intent was to etch away any cement that was glazing over the colored aggregate.

It worked for our pool.

Last edited:
We had ours similarly refinished 2 years ago and we're instructed to keep the ph low (I don't remember how low) for the next couple of weeks and brush twice daily. I think the intent was to etch away any cement that was glazing over the colored aggregate.

It worked for our pool.
Thanks.
They didn't say anything about the ph, but I have them coming back out today to talk about it and I will ask them that.

Wow! Brush your teeth and brush your pool, twice a day! How long does that take?

Here in the great midwest we line out pools with a giant vinyl trash bag, so you can change colors every few years for a couple of grand.

Wow! Brush your teeth and brush your pool, twice a day! How long does that take?
The way my pool guy explained it, it is the pool chemistry that leaches the concrete off of the surface of the aggregate. That is why we are supposed to keep the ph on the low side for a while. Higher ph prevents the leaching, which is what you want long term. The brushing doesn't really do much to clean up the gray (dried cement). It mostly just stirs up the stuff the acid has caused to leach out so the filter can filter it out of the water, so every couple of days is sufficient. Which also means I have to clean the pool filter very frequently for a while.

Here in the great midwest we line out pools with a giant vinyl trash bag, so you can change colors every few years for a couple of grand.

So do you prefer Chevy, Ford or....... which one makes the best pool theses days?

Only crappy part is when the vinyl starts ripping at the attachment bar. My parents have had issues with the two previous liners ripping. We think it’s a backfill settling issue with the prefabricate walls.

Back