Question about Medical for CPL

av8tr24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
av8tr24
I am a CSEL and CFI, and have a Second Class Medical with an exam date of 1/30/14. Now I know that a medical isn't required for CFI, so my question lies with the CPL. I was a PPL when I had my medical done, so now, in order for me to excercise Commercial privileges, I need to get my medical again?

In other words, my medical is valid for anything other than Commercial privileges, but I would need a new one otherwise?

I am a CSEL and CFI, and have a Second Class Medical with an exam date of 1/30/14. Now I know that a medical isn't required for CFI, so my question lies with the CPL. I was a PPL when I had my medical done, so now, in order for me to excercise Commercial privileges, I need to get my medical again?

In other words, my medical is valid for anything other than Commercial privileges, but I would need a new one otherwise?
A medical isn't required when you are a CFI only when you are not acting as PIC or as a required crewmember. Yes you will need to renew your medical if you planning on exercising Commercial privileges.

Yes. You can still exercise your CFI and PP privileges since those only require a Third Class (there are some CFI tasks which don't require any medical, but most CFI-Airplane things do -- see 61.23 for details), and your Second Class medical dated 1/30/14 remains valid at the Third Class level until 1/31/16. However, you cannot exercise any CP privileges (e.g., give sightseeing rides under 91.147 or get paid to fly someone else's airplane) until you get a new Second Class medical.

How did you become a cfi without knowing this information ?

How did you become a cfi without knowing this information ?

What I got out of his question, he was more asking if since he was only a PPL when he got his medical would it cover him at the CPL level when he later earned his CPL.

The answer to that is YES, the only thing the medical cares about is what class, and the date the medical was issued.

For CPL work, like the other said, you have to have your 1st or 2nd class medical done before the end of the issue date month, one year after it was issued.

After that first year is over, it basically turns into a 3rd class for 2 if you're over 40 years old, or 5 years if you're under 40.

Your second class medical became third class medical on 1/31/2015. What is your question?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back