Question about magneto rotation

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Fellow mentioned that he thought all Lycoming and Continental engines use left-hand rotation mags both sides. I have no idea. Is that the case?

I can say that the mag rotation on my O-290 is LH.

For the Continental A65 through O-200, if it has a -8 model number (A65-8, C85-8, etc.) it has clockwise (right) rotation magnetos. All -12, -14, -16, and the O-200 use counterclockwise (left) rotation magnetos.

Basically, if the small Continentals are set up to run a generator and a starter, mag rotation is counterclockwise.

Ron Wanttaja

Fellow mentioned that he thought all Lycoming and Continental engines use left-hand rotation mags both sides. I have no idea. Is that the case?
Nope. Most Lycs are LH rotation, while the Continentals vary, as Ron Wanttaja says.

The rotation is as viewed looking directly at the mounting end of the magneto, with shaft visible. That is done to keep things consistent, as some mags (like on big Continentals) are mounted on top of the back end of the engine, facing backwards.

Propeller rotation is always as seen by the pilot looking forward through the prop disc.

Back