Question about flying in to Airventure

JimNtexas

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim - In Texas!
Howdy,

I've been to at least 10 Airventures, but this next one will be my first to fly in.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have already done the Oshkosh Hajj.

1) I know you make a sign to indicate where you want to park. What's the difference (if any) between 'airplane parking' and 'airplane camping'? Is there a price and location difference? I've got hotel reservations but I'm considering camping for the last night or two. I'm flying a 71 Cardinal, so I'm not a homebuilt or otherwise 'special'.

2) Am I correct in understanding that you can rent tie-down stakes at Oshkosh? Is this a problem?

thanks

Jim

Howdy,

I've been to at least 10 Airventures, but this next one will be my first to fly in.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have already done the Oshkosh Hajj.

1) I know you make a sign to indicate where you want to park. What's the difference (if any) between 'airplane parking' and 'airplane camping'? Is there a price and location difference? I've got hotel reservations but I'm considering camping for the last night or two. I'm flying a 71 Cardinal, so I'm not a homebuilt or otherwise 'special'.

2) Am I correct in understanding that you can rent tie-down stakes at Oshkosh? Is this a problem?

thanks

Jim

I think the difference is how close you are to facilities like showers. Parking is far north where you can get to the FBO or the roads to the north but they don't have facilities for campers there. The camping is on the south side of runway 9/27 and it's a L-O-N-G trip around. And of course, they don't'want tents in the parking area. They may pack the planes tighter together.

The stakes you rent are more like dog chain corkscrews. You're much better off bringing your own like Fly-ties or the claw.

Last edited:
Per the Airventure layout map, for your aircraft type "Aircraft Parking" is located North of 9/27 and West of Kermit Weeks' hangar. This area is also the overflow camping area when the "North 40" (South of 9/27) camping area reaches capacity. Despite what the Airventure website states, there are some portable showers and toilets located in the "Aircraft Parking" area as many "non-showplane" aircraft campers prefer to camp away from the "North 40". Parking is also available on paved surfaces at the FBOs with prior arrangement (and possible additional fees).

FWIW, from the Airventure website:

Aircraft Parking Status

Parking and camping areas for other aircraft may reach saturation at times. Parking area status is available via telephone recording (920-230-7820) and at www.airventure.org/aircraftparking. The AirVenture Arrival ATIS (118.75) also has parking availability information, when applicable.

I recommend you bring your own tie-downs as their availability after arrival is not guaranteed. Some recommendations on design and use are provided in

Aircraft occupants can camp next to their airplanes in the General Aviation Camping area, which has a daily fee and a three night minimum. The General Aviation Parking area accommodates other transient aircraft; no camping is allowed in this area. Pilots of aircraft unable to park on grass must pre-arrange accommodation at an FBO (Basler Flight Service (920-236-7827) or Orion Flight Services (920-424-8090).

Last edited:
And don't even THINK about not tying down!! Those storms get, um, interesting!! :eek:

(not that I think you wouldn't think about not ... uh ... um, what?):)

And don't even THINK about not tying down!! Those storms get, um, interesting!! :eek:

(not that I think you wouldn't think about not ... uh ... um, what?):)

I think it is required by Wisconsin law that during AirVenture week they must have several 95+ degree F days, mosquitoes big enough to show up on radar, and a torrential rain to wash the tourists away.

I was there when a 70MPH gust front preceded a TStorm. A lot of outside exhibitor's tents were blown down and many plane owners found out how good their tiedowns were. I was one. Thank you FlyTies.

Getting the plane rolling after the wheels wallowed deep into the soaked ground was 'nother story. I ended up using full flaps and all 235HP to hover out.

Getting the plane rolling after the wheels wallowed deep into the soaked ground was 'nother story. I ended up using full flaps and all 235HP to hover out.
Yep - and you likely had 7 hang-gliders standing behind you in full rig, grinning ...and waiting!

Back