Question about Diabetes

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I have a potential student who has contacted me about getting his sport pilot license. He said he’d prefer to get his private pilot’s license but he’s diabetic and doesn’t know if he can pass the physical. I’ve searched the forums and found a lot of discussion about diabetes, but nothing that addresses his specific situation.

He’s a type I diabetic and injects novalog and lantus (from what I understand). He says his diabetes is “well under control”. He’s concerned that if he is rejected for a 3rd class then he’s not going to be legal to follow up on his sport pilot. I’m not sure what to tell him in that I know nothing about diabetes and what is acceptable / unacceptable to the feds.

Any input as to what advice to give him?

AOPA has a whole big section on diabetes in their medical area (members only):

http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medical/certification/endocrine/

Short quotes to make sure copyright integrity is maintained:

Pilots with a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus controlled by diet alone are eligible for medical certification under the revised Part 67 medical standards.

The FAA may consider certification, under Special Issuance for individuals with insulin-treated diabetes mellitus (ITDM).

Insulin dependent diabetics can get a special issuance for a third class medical if they are well controlled and have no related diseases(cardiovascular, renal, neurologic, and eye) The AOPA site Tomcat mentioned is good. If he is interested in getting a medical, I would recommend he collect all the data requested including the letter from his physician and run it by a good AME to see if he might run into any glitches(before he actually goes for a flight exam). He would get deferred, but if the paperwork was in order and he is willing to do the required blood sugar testing while flying he can get a special issuance. (assuming no other medical issues)

Barb

Here's what's needed:

Two Hb A1c's, 90-180 and 0-90 days prior, need to be better than 8.0 though it's not stated (I've BTDT a couple of rounds), separated by >90 days.

NO episodes of hypoglycemia in the past FIVE years which resulted in impariment of consciousness.

Opthalmologist's statement- "NO diabetic retinopathy.

Diabetologist's statement: Absence of cerebrovascular, cardiovascular, peripheral vascular disease or neuropathy. Absence of renal disease (serum creatinine does the job).
Letter from diabetes educator, stating you are educated in diabetes and understand what actions mut be taken should the need arise, and

Physician's letter that says applicant has the ability and willingness to properly manage and monitor his DM.

Credible testimony that the pilot candidate has the dexterity to manage a fingerstick glucometer while IN FLIGHT. For this purpose I use a CFI who has flown with the pilot candidate, and It says, "I have seen Mr. XYZ check his glucose while maintaining straight and level flight in a Cessna 172. NOTHING like that kind of testimony.

This is one SI that is NEVER granted on authority of a phone call to OKC. However I have had it turn around in SEVEN days after the call.

There is an inflight protocol using the recording glucometer- roughly distilled, you check preflight, if 100-300, GO. If less than 100, wait and take glucose snack , measure 30 minutes later, then if 100-300 GO.

Every hour in fliglht, same check. But if out of sepc and cannot land, can take 10 gm glucose nack and measure 1 hour later. If he can't check it at that time (operational priority) he takes a 20 gm snack and lands at the nearest suitable airport.

3 month intervals: General physical eval, and HbA1c by patient's doc, who has to dump the memory of the recording glucometer and coment on the results. These can be accumulated and sent in annually.

The letter from the Diabetologist and the Eye-guy are annual requirements as are the HB A1c. At age 40 you need an EKG and a treadmill.

There are about 1000 airmen flying with this. I have two of them.

Chip, if you want some first hand experience, PM me. I'm a type I diabetic with a S.I. for the last 5 years. In short, the good doctor nailed it on the head again. I'll be happy to share any info and experiences that my help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back