Question about checking oil in 1982 Cessna 182rg

GSDpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GSDpilot
When I use the dipstick to check the oil after the airplane has sat for a few days, the level shows just above 5 quarts. When I wipe it clean and recheck, it will show 8 quarts every time I check it there after. I thought maybe the dipstick was coming out after flight and maybe the engine was rattling it loose.

I checked to make sure it was properly seated after flight and after sitting for a few days, and it was. Not sure which reading I should trust more, but don't want to add oil if it is not truly low. Anybody have any ideas or similar experience?

I had an 81 182RG. Checking the oil was... interesting. How long it sat, how level was the ground, phase of the moon, etc., all seemed to affect the oil level indication. :D

I never had an issue with the dipstick coming out. But when you check it that first time, just push it in to make sure it's fully inserted.

Used to have issues with oil seeming to creep up the tube, like a capillary effrct, resulting in false high readings, or thinking you were ok when you weren't. Learned to only trust the second check.

Used to have issues with oil seeming to creep up the tube, like a capillary effrct, resulting in false high readings, or thinking you were ok when you weren't. Learned to only trust the second check.
how do you know it wasn't the other way around.... replacing the stick after the first check pushed it out of the tube? (just a thought exercise here...It's been a long time since I flew a 182 so I don't remember the oil check at all....)

how do you know it wasn't the other way around.... replacing the stick after the first check pushed it out of the tube? (just a thought exercise here...It's been a long time since I flew a 182 so I don't remember the oil check at all....)

The drop in oil pressure after a long flight was a hint

The first check of the dipstick is consistently inconsistent on our '86 R182. Sometimes accurate, sometimes not. Doubledipping is standard pre-flight. Seen down to 5 quarts first time in....and good the second time.

Jim

In some engines that dipstick tube sticks into the crankcase some distance, and the oil can't rise into it after engine shutdown. Loosening the dipstick cap releases the air trapped in there and the oil rises to the same level as in the sump. When the engine is running the oil level drops and exposes the end of the tube.

Back