Question about certifications, ratings, etc.

kc4wsd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kc4wsd
This will probably sound like an unusual request, but I will preface it by providing my background, and a disclaimer.

I am currently enrolled in a college program for Aviation Management, and one of my classes for this semester is Aviation Law. I have followed this forum for quite some time now, and feel that I would receive valuable information from the members here. My question is this:

Where would a prospective employer go to access new pilot and maintenance personnel applicant's certifications, ratings, accident history, etc.

Yes, I know the broad answer is the FAA, but can someone provide details on something more specific? By the way . . . [DISCLAIMER: I am NOT trying to find anything in particular on a certain person, so my question is based on locating a SOURCE, not the actual information] . . . I did locate the Airmen Inquiry page on the FAA website at https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/ and put in my son's information (he's a pilot, while I am not), but that didn't really return enough to answer the question.

If there has to be a formal request made in writing, on letterhead, from an employer, I'd just like someone to direct me to where it actually says that - in order to support my answer to the question.

Again, thank you in advance to anyone who responds. I can also be reached directly by sending an e-mail to kc4wsd(at)gmail(dot)com if you'd rather not answer in the forum.

Pilot Records Improvment Act (PRIA). Any 135 / 121 employer is required to do a background check through the FAA on that applicants experience. Not sure how much gets sent to the employer though. I believe medical history, certs and any accidents within the last 5 yrs.

Thanks for the response. It sounds like what you mentioned in the last sentence covers the information necessary to answer the question. Problem is, I can't find it (in "writing") just exactly where the information is maintained. I'll research PRIA a little and see if I can uncover the source.
Thanks again for the point in the right direction.

Pilot Records Improvment Act (PRIA). Any 135 / 121 employer is required to do a background check through the FAA on that applicants experience. Not sure how much gets sent to the employer though. I believe medical history, certs and any accidents within the last 5 yrs.

UPDATE: Your information was spot-on! I dug into the PRIA and located the proper method - Fill out FAA Form 8060-10, and mail it to the Aviation Data Systems Branch in Oklahoma City. Thanks again for the help.

I assume the nickname is a ham radio callsign, @kc4wsd. Welcome. WY0X here. 73.
You are correct. Inactive at the moment, but still holding the call, and hoping to become active again before too much longer. Nice to meet you, WY0X.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back