Question about BasicMed dates

R

RustyPPL

My question is did my last third class medical have to be issued AFTER July 14, 2006 or simply be valid on or after that date?

I just squeaked by. Signed by the man himself.

3rd Class Special Issuance 28March2006 anon.jpg

You were issued a 3rd class that was valid for only 6 months?
Yes; it was a special issuance. Most SIs are usually time limited because the FAA wants regular updates from the pilot's physician on results of various medical tests, usually bloodwork, to maintain the special issuance. It was the cost and hassle of these tests that prompted me to begin flying LSAs and exercising Sport Pilot privileges using my valid California Driver License in lieu of a medical certificate. When BasicMed was codified and I was eligible, I switched to BasicMed so I wouldn't be limited to LSAs and could enjoy the other privileges of my private certificate (like flying after sunset, etc.).

Yep, all "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER..." was a SI. Given this one was a six monther, I'm guessing cardiac issues. I was on a one year cycle until I finally got an AME to whack the FAA hard enough about the fact that I never had the condition for which the SI was issued for (I had a false positive, and I had proof of that going in, but I had a turd AME who screwed everything up including doing a number of things that Dr. C says he should probably have lost his designation over if the FAA had found out).

But a NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER that gives a date before June 14, 2006 is no good for basic med qualification. If it is after that (like the one above), it is good.

Yep, all "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER..." was a SI. Given this one was a six monther, I'm guessing cardiac issues.

It was for HIV infection, Ron. I seroconverted in March, 1980, so have been living with the virus for over forty years. Thanks to the HAART "cocktail" I've had an undetectable viral load and normal CD4+ cell count for nearly twenty years with zero side effects from the medications. I've never had cardiac issues. The SI required the CogScreen-AE every two years, and the expense of doing that and the blood tests every three months was a significant financial burden, which is why I let the SI lapse and began flying LSAs using my driver's license.

@Stan Cooper, if you don't mind, what are the hoops for the HIV positive SI?
Hi, Mark.

I worked through AMAS (Quay Snyder and Keith Martin) to get the special issuance, and they have the HIV protocol posted on their website at https://www.aviationmedicine.com/article/hiv-aids/?highlight=HIV.

The process in my case was:
1. A thorough review of all of my medical records for the previous ten years
2. My bloodwork over time met the protocol criteria (viral load, CD4+ cell count, renal and liver function, etc.).
3. I took the CogScreen-AE test and at age 64 normed against U.S. commercial pilots in the 55 to 60 age group scored well (see attached Taylor scores).
4. I was given a very thorough physical exam by a senior AME specified by the Western-Pacific regional flight surgeon.
5. All of the above was submitted by Dr. Martin to the medical certification folks in Oklahoma City and I was issued the 3rd class S.I.

The main area of concern seems to have been the potential for neurocognitive impairment as the virus can cross the blood-brain barrier and cause dementia. However, studies since 2014 have shown that since HAART became the standard of care in the mid-1990s, HIV infected individuals on HAART with consistently undetectable viral load and normal CD4+ cell counts have the same cognitive ability as individuals who are not HIV infected in the same age group. In light of these studies, I don't understand why the FAA still insists on expensive regular, repetitive testing of neurocognitive function for HIV infection. To me it seems discriminatory.

CogScreen-AE Taylor Scores.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I thought it just had to be a valid certificate on of after July 14, 2006 but the CMEC confused me a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back