Question about BasicMed and Checkrides

PilotInFL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotInFL
I received a 3rd class medical certificate prior to beginning my PPL training. I completed my training and received my PPL. I then had a diagnosis of depression/anxiety and began taking an anti-depressant (not one of the 4 approved ones). I switched to BasicMed to continue flying (after thorough discussions with my psychiatrist and primary care doctor who signed me off on Basicmed). I am now almost ready to take my instrument checkride. Will the DPE review my entire CMEC and therefore see that I had the diagnosis and am on the medication? Will that cause any problems for the checkride?

The DPE can not see or request to see anything on the CMEC. You simply provide them your BasicMed certificate like you would the medical certificate. Doesn't hurt to provide the expired medical that qualifies you for basic but that is not necessary. The certification office will review all the paperwork submitted after your anticipated passing of the checkride. They will verify whether you had a qualifying medical and valid BasicMed. Look yourself up to verify a valid medical and BasicMed status https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx.

That said, you are treading in murky waters. Just the same as flying under a FAA medical certificate, under BasicMed, you must self certify medical fitness before each and every flight. Taking a medication that is not on the FAA approved list is a rather bright flag telling you that you might not be fit to fly. I'd think very hard about this. You might want to consult an aviation attorney for advice. Ask your doctor if you can switch to one of the approved medications. If not, why?

To top things off, you and your doctor(s) must be certain your condition does not require a one time special issuance before going basic. By your reporting, this condition occurred after your last unrestricted medical was issued. The wording in the regulations allows for a wide range of interpretation.

Medical Conditions Requiring One Special Issuance Before Operating under BasicMed​

• A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
    • A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
    • A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual —
      • Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
      • May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis;
    • A bipolar disorder; or
    • A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations
  • A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
    • Epilepsy;
    • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
    • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
  • A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.

Nobody on POA is going to tell you whether you are ok to fly basic or not.

....after thorough discussions with my psychiatrist and primary care doctor who signed me off on Basicmed.....

Glad to see you did that. Wise move.

...diagnosis of depression/anxiety...

Since that's not a personality disorder severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts (otherwise your psychiatrist wouldn't have said you're okay), nor is it a psychosis, nor bipolar, nor have you mentioned substance abuse, you're okay to fly on Basic Med.

Will the DPE review my entire CMEC and therefore see that I had the diagnosis and am on the medication?

No. He won't ask to see it, and if he does you can refuse. Even if he's a phyisician, he's not your physician and hasn't examined you. He has no authority, no obligation, and likely no expertise, to determine your fitness apart from seeing that you do indeed have Basic Med, which can be confirmed on the FAA website.

Taking a medication that is not on the FAA approved list is a rather bright flag telling you that you might not be fit to fly.

Baloney. It might prompt a discussion with the airman's treating physician, or the Basic Med physician (who reviews all the meds on the CMEC anyway) if they're not the same (in this case they're the same). This OP has spoken with both his primary physician AND his psychiatrist and received a Basic Med signature. He has fulfilled any obligation he had in this area and come to a reasoned, informed decision about his fitness to fly. There is no longer any "bright flag" saying he shouldn't fly as far as the medication goes.

Basic Med is NOT an FAA medical at all; it's an alternative to having a medical. Don't try to apply FAA medical standards to it.

Nobody on POA is going to tell you whether you are ok to fly basic or not.

I believe I just did. Others will likely be along to this thread shortly.

Surely you can’t be serious…….

and don’t call me Shirley.
:cheers: :biggrin:

No. He won't ask to see it, and if he does you can refuse. Even if he's a phyisician, he's not your physician and hasn't examined you. He has no authority, no obligation, and likely no expertise, to determine your fitness apart from seeing that you do indeed have Basic Med, which can be confirmed on the FAA website.
Doesn't the applicant have to bring their logbook to the checkride? The statute that resulted in BasicMed says that the CMEC has to be kept in the person's logbook. I haven't seen any rule that limits which of the contents of the applicant's logbook can be viewed by a DPE.

I'm not a physician nor an attorney, but I would tend to agree with @Half Fast that if you have discussed your medication with your physician, particularly in how it may affect your fitness to fly, and the physician doesn't see an issue, then I don't see how a DPE would either. That said, if you're really concerned, I would ask the DPE prior to the checkride if he/she has any questions regarding your BasicMed situation. Good Luck on the checkride!

There actually is official guidance on this. The FSIMS sections dealing with checkrides have this to say. The quote is from the private pilot certification section, Chapter 5, Chapter 2 (my emphasis), but similar language appears in the others.

Medical Certification. The evaluator conducting the practical test shall review the applicant’s medical certificate to ensure the applicant can act as pilot in command (PIC) for the practical test. Per § 61.23, if a medical certificate is required, make sure the applicant’s medical certificate is current. If the applicant is operating under BasicMed in lieu of possessing a valid medical certificate, make sure they hold a valid U.S. driver’s license as well as a current Certificate of Completion from an authorized BasicMed medical education course.

IOW, the only thing the DPE should be checking is the current Certificate of Completion, not the CMEC. Makes sense since in order to take the course, you must input the date of your most recent CMEC.

Any DPEs who can talk about what, if anything, your training or marching orders say about this?

There actually is official guidance on this. The FSIMS sections dealing with checkrides have this to say. The quote is from the private pilot certification section, Chapter 5, Chapter 2 (my emphasis), but similar language appears in the others.

Medical Certification. The evaluator conducting the practical test shall review the applicant’s medical certificate to ensure the applicant can act as pilot in command (PIC) for the practical test. Per § 61.23, if a medical certificate is required, make sure the applicant’s medical certificate is current. If the applicant is operating under BasicMed in lieu of possessing a valid medical certificate, make sure they hold a valid U.S. driver’s license as well as a current Certificate of Completion from an authorized BasicMed medical education course.

IOW, the only thing the DPE should be checking is the current Certificate of Completion, not the CMEC. Makes sense since in order to take the course, you must input the date of your most recent CMEC.

Any DPEs who can talk about what, if anything, your training or marching orders say about this?
n=2

I've taken 2 check rides with 2 different DPE with BasicMed and this is exactly what they did.

I can't imagine any DPE asking detailed medical questions. It seems really off the rails.

The question is probably just theoretical; I wouldn't expect a DPE to want to look at the details. On the other hand, would they check that you at least had it with you as required by the law and regulations?

The question is probably just theoretical; I wouldn't expect a DPE to want to look at the details. On the other hand, would they check that you at least had it with you as required by the law and regulations?
Well sure. A practical test includes showing that one is qualified to take it. And one of the qualifications is an appropriate medical certificate just as much as a logged qualifying cross country flights. The guidance I quoted earlier specifically tells them to check for the current Certificate of Completion. No different than checking for ID.

If they actually asked me to show them that I had the CMEC in my logbook also, I'd have no problem showing them that I have it without letting them look at any more than the title and maybe up to my name.

Back