Question about Arriving at Oshkosh Thurs night

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
first time there. Looks like they have an air show Thursday till 630PM. Then the notam says arrivals usually begin half hour after show ends. Then the arrivals stop when tower closes which is 8pm.
How hard is it to get in with a window like that?
I have an 8 hour flight with two fuel stops. I don't want to shuffle around after all that.

Thanks in advance.

You need to snug up to OSH to get in after the airshow but before the 8:00 P.M. closure. The 8 time is very firm, the airshow end time just a bit more vague.

Get close, fuel up, be on the arrival just before 7:00 P.M. sometime. That should work out fine, as long as WX cooperates.

The main way to tell if the field is open or closed it ATIS. Midweek one should also call to check there is room to park or camp, again a recording. I do think it's unlikely to be full, but good to not be surprised.

There are a handful of nice airports not far away to stage from. I prefer uncontrolled fields away from Class C airspace. It can depend on where you approach from.

Last edited:
Fly to someplace close like Madison. Wait there until just before the arrivals open.

i see there's a number to call atis when I'm in the ground.
Is this going to be harder than trying to call movie phone in the 70's?
One last question: during the show is approach off line completely or are they just telling people to stay out or will they put a planes in holding patterns while a show is on?

During the airshow, and other times when the field is closed, ATIS will radiate that the field is closed to arrivals and departures, so stay away.

Besides the normal Class D airspace, there will be a TFR around Oshkosh, covering a wider area. If your time doesn't coincide when the field is open, get in position nearby and slip in when able.

The field will be closed for hours during the airshow, to long for holding. One knows about when the field will be open, just land and plan your arrival accordingly.

The short-term, no-notice holding would more likely be for traffic saturation , an accident, or a special arrival of sorts.

Last edited:
Live ATC has an ATIS feed so you don't have to deal with the busy signal.

Note: The 8 o'clock closing time is ABSOLUTE.

We have heard them send EAA's own photo plane away, at, like, 8:02. They're not screwing around!

If you are planning to camp with your airplane in the "North 40" (general aviation camping) don't cut it close to dusk either. They do not allow aircraft movements in the camping area once the daylight starts to fade, even though the airfield may still be open.

I did this once and swore to never do it again. There were so many aircraft circling and trying to get in. It was a madhouse.

I did this once and swore to never do it again. There were so many aircraft circling and trying to get in. It was a madhouse.

Yeah, I like the more civilized early A.M. arrival window, 0720-0900 or so.

Back