Question about AME exam

Ann

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ann
I'm too honest sometimes. I just filled out my medxpress application and sent the confirmation number to the AME for my appointment. When I showed up to the appointment, he said that he wanted to talk to me before we started the process because I had checked the box for depression because I am in marriage counseling due to my husband's affair last year. I'm not in any medications and we are happy and doing well. But the AME stated that I would have to go through a psychiatric exam because I am in counseling. Can I just let this paperwork die and redo the application? I do not have a history of depression and I'm not depressed now. I do believe that sometimes my honesty screws me. Any advice?

I'm too honest sometimes. I just filled out my medxpress application and sent the confirmation number to the AME for my appointment. When I showed up to the appointment, he said that he wanted to talk to me before we started the process because I had checked the box for depression because I am in marriage counseling due to my husband's affair last year. I'm not in any medications and we are happy and doing well. But the AME stated that I would have to go through a psychiatric exam because I am in counseling. Can I just let this paperwork die and redo the application? I do not have a history of depression and I'm not depressed now. I do believe that sometimes my honesty screws me. Any advice?
I think you would be best to go through the exam and get cleared if you are confident you will do fine. I too am to honest somtimes, gotten me into trouble.

Your AME did you a favor. Once he enters that code, that document is "live". Now, it will just expire in the system in 30(?) days. I'm pretty sure you can log in under a new email and create a fresh Medxpress form if you don't want to wait that long.

As far as his other advice, I dunno, I'm not a doc. Do you have a diagnosis of depression? Did you check the box that says you do?

edit:

Here is some background, you'll need to check with an AME on how it actually applies in your case:

reporting medical visits (check out what it says for counseling):

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...aam/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item19/

Last edited:
Your AME did you a favor. Once he enters that code, that document is "live". Now, it will just expire in the system in 30(?) days. I'm pretty sure you can log in under a new email and create a fresh Medxpress form if you don't want to wait that long.

As far as his other advice, I dunno, I'm not a doc. Do you have a diagnosis of depression? Did you check the box that says you do?

That.

Find out what that doc put in the "system"

If you have him your medexpress number the ame has already opened the application and it is too late to "let it die".

That said, I'm pretty sure marital counseling is explicitly excepted from reporting. Were you diagnosed as clinically depressed as well?

If you have him your medexpress number the ame has already opened the application and it is too late to "let it die".

That said, I'm pretty sure marital counseling is explicitly excepted from reporting. Were you diagnosed as clinically depressed as well?
Good point - I assumed that the AME did NOT enter the code and was able to review the Medxpress form first. I don't know if that's what happened or not. It sounds, though, that the AME wanted to discuss the situation "...before we started the process..."

I have not been diagnosed with clinical depression. It was stated by my primary doc as situational depression because I was going through the divorce before my husband and I reconciled. My primary doc gave me Celexa last year but I wasn't on it except for a few months and I'm not on meds anymore. The doc said that my application would expire in 60 days. The nurse also told me that sometimes that people just don't show up for the appointment and they have to cancel the application. They told me that they were not going to do anything with it unless I decided to come back. There was no exam. Nothing written down. Just counseling on what I might need to do.

I have not been diagnosed with clinical depression. It was stated by my primary doc as situational depression because I was going through the divorce before my husband and I reconciled. My primary doc gave me Celexa last year but I wasn't on it except for a few months and I'm not on meds anymore. The doc said that my application would expire in 60 days. The nurse also told me that sometimes that people just don't show up for the appointment and they have to cancel the application. They told me that they were not going to do anything with it unless I decided to come back. There was no exam. Nothing written down. Just counseling on what I might need to do.

Post your original questions into the Medical forum. It will catch the attention of some AMEs here that can give you further assistance.

Off to the HIMS Psych you go!!

Did you send an advance copy of the form to your doctor? Perhaps someone can correct me but once the doc enters in your med express number in the system, it activates the application. It's only when you create an applicTion in the system but a doctor never opens it that it vanishes after 60 days. Either way, you'll have to report the medication regardless, so you'll want to work with an AME who's familiar with the process.

I am not a doctor and the grownups will be along with details shortly, but:
You had a prescription, which means that you had a diagnosis.
You'll need a letter from your PCP stating "prescribed celexa for situational depression due to divorce, resolved".
It is my understanding that family/marital counseling is not reportable.

Last edited:
Whoever sent me the Dr Chien link, I would like to thank you. For some reason, I can't see your post anymore. He was incredibly helpful when he answered my email. Big sigh of relief finally.

Did you send an advance copy of the form to your doctor? Perhaps someone can correct me but once the doc enters in your med express number in the system, it activates the application. It's only when you create an applicTion in the system but a doctor never opens it that it vanishes after 60 days. Either way, you'll have to report the medication regardless, so you'll want to work with an AME who's familiar with the process.
All that is true, but notice that the AME said the application would expire in 60 days. Also read the OP, where she said the AME wanted to talk to her first before starting the process. Sounds to me like this is an AME who has the pilot's best interests at heart and who doesn't enter the confirmation code until he is satisfied the application will be a go.

To the OP: glad to hear you got in contact with Dr. Bruce. He is one of the best resources this community has. I hope you can get this all straightened out and can get through the application process without the need for a psych evaluation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back