question about AD language

alanbreck

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AlanB
I'm potentially purchasing a plane which has the ECI cylinders which are affected by this AD: 2009-26-12

I'm not a mechanic, so I have a question regarding the language describing the required visual inspection (see quote below). Is this just describing an external inspection of the assembly? If not, how much of the cylinder assembly has to be disassembled?

"Visual Inspection:
(h) Visually inspect each cylinder head around the exhaust valve side for cracks or any signs of black or white residue of combustion leakage from cracks."

Usually pull the cowl off. If you had a borescope and really wanted to, I guess you could do it that way, but seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Visual inspections are just that. Use a light, mirror if you need to. I don't remember the details of that AD, but if you look at the cyls, and no problems found, keep on going. That's the way most recurring visuals are anyway.

Also, read the section in the AD that mentions the cost of compliance for a ballpark:

Costs of Compliance
We estimate that this AD will affect about 18,000 ECi cylinder assemblies installed in aircraft of U.S. registry. The visual inspection and compression tests will take about 4 work-hours for each engine. An individual cylinder replacement will require $1,100 for parts and 6 work-hours. Lycoming engines with a set of 4 ECi cylinders will require 12 work-hours for the cylinder replacement. Lycoming engines with a set of 6 ECi cylinders will require 16 work-hours for the cylinder replacement. We estimate 18 percent of the affected population of cylinders will be replaced. We estimate the total cost of the AD to U.S. operators to be $10,172,000. Our estimate is exclusive of any possible warranty coverage.

That's an external inspection for cracks or signs of combustion leakage. Bright light, mirror, maybe a magnifying glass. Three things I have on me, all day a work.

Yep, one of the "tactical" led flashlights and my oversized "dental" mirror is real handy on AD work especially when they want to know the model or serial number on some fool accessory like a fuel pump that has the label turned the wrong way around to see.

Back