Question about A&P training for my son.

Ande Elkins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ande Elkins
Greetings;
My son recently graduated high school.
He has expressed an interest in getting his A&P certificate.
My first thought was joining the military (A/F) however, he does not desire to mak that commitment. (several of his upper classmates joined only to find that the initial career path was 'altered' for numerous reasons)
I checked into a few FAA certified schools that range from 14 - 24 months to complete the required 2180 hours for A&P certification. These schools ranged from $25K - $40K. (the most logical one being about 90 minutes from our home)
http://www.naiasc.com/maintenance.html
That school is $15K (plus $7K housing & 2K in tools).. 14 months completion schedule (8 hour day classes)

I also wanted to see if there was any local A&Ps that may consider an 'apprentice' program. Just as an option in the event the school(s) do not work out. (it would take longer but, he would be closer to home and getting real-world experience). I tried to search the FAA database to get a list of people holding current A&P certificates. I had no luck. (if it's there, I couldn't find it). The only thing I found was the database of 'Repair Stations'.
I am assuming that a person can hold a current A&P without having a full-time position at a repair station?..

My son's mindset is this.. he wants to earn his A&P certificate while he has no other life commitments to hinder it. (marriage, job, etc) After that, he can decide if he wants to venture into a life career in aviation or, follow a different career path and use the A&P certificate to perform Annuals, repairs, etc locally. (on an as-needed demand basis). My hunch is that their is not enough local aviation business to support him totally but, having the A&P (possibly I/A too) could open several opportunities to supplement his income.
(Actually, I'd love to have that option if I had 14 months of non-commitmental time)

Personally, I'll finance his educational costs... although, I can see my future RV purchase shrinking from a total glass award winning plane... to a more affordable 'rough' model.. But, we do what is neccessary for our children to follow their dreams, right?
Any pros or cons to the above that you guys wish to offer us?
Any advice is welcome..

There's not a community college nearby with an aviation program?

The closest community college that offers aviation training is about 45 minutes away. It's focuses on providing 2 years of Aeronatical Engineering classes with 2 more years required from their North Dakota school (the sponsoring school). However, an A&P certification class is not offered.

Seems to me an RV project is a terrific opportunity for your son to gain the practical skills an aviation maintenance technician would need for a successful career.
I agree... and building a RV will enable him a 'repairman certificate' to perform work on 'that' RV. His goal is to obtain the knowlege/training and certification, then when he returns home he can exercise the A&P skills to perform local Annuals, repairs, etc..
(and yes, we plan on a few RV builds as time permits)
We have a privately owned (for public use) grass airstrip (1E6) and a 50 x 100' hanger. (nice setup to divide the hanger in half for a possible repair station. :rolleyes: ..
However, at this point, we not depending on the A&P to provide 100% of his career income. (if it does, that's great.. but, it may be that he has to work another local job and use the A&P as supplemental income..
Or, that's the plan so far..
Thanks for the NC educational links..
Ande

Last edited:
I'd check out the community college options available. An apprenticeship program is a good idea too.

If he becomes serious about becoming an A&P as a career choice, he may want to look into taking some business management & accounting classes too.

Jeff

snip

then when he returns home he can exercise the A&P skills to perform local Annuals, repairs, etc..

Ande

He will not be able to preform inspections other than 100 hour, progressive, or those included in an AD

He will not be able to preform inspections other than 100 hour, progressive, or those included in an AD

What certification is required to perorm annuals?
On my last annual, an apprentice performed the inspection, under the supervision of what I assummed was a A&P..

What certification is required to perorm annuals?
On my last annual, an apprentice performed the inspection, under the supervision of what I assummed was a A&P..

Only a A&P-IA can preform the annual or return to service after a major repair.

§ 65.91 Inspection authorization.
(a) An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.

(b) An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.

(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must—

(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;

(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;

(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;

(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and

(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter.

An applicant who fails the test prescribed in paragraph (c)(5) of this section may not apply for retesting until at least 90 days after the date he failed the test.

I thought A&P's could do annuals but an IA had to sign them off? Is that not the case as I see A&P's doing my annuals all the time.

What you see is the A&P doing the repair of discrepancies that were found by the IA doing the inspection, or just helping to open or close the aircraft, etc.

Although he may not like making the four-year commitment to the military, I promise he'd get some great training in the Navy. It would be even better if he went through the advanced program. He'd spend the first year and quarter in schools. He'd leave boot camp as an E-3, finish A school and on to B-School. Upon successful completion, he'd make E-4. His best path for the most detailed experience would be for ship's company or a shore duty with an intermediate maintenance shop. He'd have the best of both worlds if he made it into a P-3 or E-2 squadron working on turboprops and assigned to intermediate maintenance. While in, he could join a flying club and enjoy rental rates the rest of us can only dream about.

My penny's worth!

does military mechanic experience parlay into A&P experience for getting the certificate? I had heard that it didnt...

does military mechanic experience parlay into A&P experience for getting the certificate? I had heard that it didnt...
It does. You have to test out but the documented experience counts toward civilian requirements. You just need to document your work in detail, keep copies of all certifications, PQS cards, etc for all the equipment you've maintained.

As a long time A&P/IA myself who went to a part 147 aviation school to gain the knowledge to know it was a certificate to learn this is my recommendation.

The FAA does have a program with the military now to accept certain AFS or MOS field of training to allow the military person an endorsement to test for the A&P. The military also ways could bring their training records to any FSDO and request an interview. Now the military will issue the person a certificate the FAA accepts stating there are eligible to take the written and oral tests.

Here in California the local junior colleges that have a part 147 school are the best buy around $2500.00 for the 18 to 24-month course. Many offer courses at night only such as Sacramento City College as well as Alameda Community College just down the street from my office. However there are the private schools such as Wyo-Tech Oakland and Boston they charge around $30,000.00 for their 18-month course (again private school).

The best bang for the buck is the community college. All of the colleges have about the same curriculum to follow depending on how many hours the curriculum is. The minimum hours the FAA requires is 1,900 however many schools have more hours in their curriculum. The school I over see has 2,150-hours and still takes 18-months to complete.

Again I would recommend a A&P Part 147 school for your son as he will gain all the basic information that he may not learn working under someone for 30-months. You can find a list of all the FAA certificated schools in AC147-2NN, FAA Certificated Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools. This AC is available on the FAA web site: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/651215EE8E28B068862571D800549189?OpenDocument

I have lots of information on how to obtain you’re A&P on my personal web site at http://www.stacheair.com click on mechanic tool box.

my only hope is to find somewhere once i get out of college that does it at night. would take longer but i would like to get my A&P. being out of the workforce for another year and half does not compute though.

Last edited:
Back