Question about 141 flight training requirements

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
Okay, question about part 141 training requirements.

First off...some stuff from the FAR

Sec. D141.1

Appendix D to Part 141 - Commercial Pilot Certification Course
2. Eligibility for enrollment. A person must hold the following prior to enrolling in the flight portion of the commercial pilot certification course:
(a) At least a private pilot certificate
4. Flight training. (a) Each approved course must include at least the following flight training, as provided in this section and section No. 5 of this appendix, on the approved areas of operation listed in paragraph (d) of this section that are appropriate to the aircraft category and class rating for which the course applies:
(1) 120 hours of training if the course is for an airplane or powered-lift rating.

So...just as a theoretical...let's say I finish my PPL at minimums...non 141 so I have 40 total hours with 10 solo so I have 30 hours of training...would that training count towards that 120 hours...or would it be an aditional 120 hours...

On the same note... the Instrument requirements for part 141 read like this

4. Flight training. (a) Each approved course must include at least the following flight training on the approved areas of operation listed in paragraph (d) of this section, appropriate to the instrument-aircraft category and class rating for which the course applies:
(1) 35 hours of instrument training if the course is for an initial instrument rating.
(2) 15 hours of instrument training if the course is for an additional instrument rating.

So if I was going for my CMEL and CSEL would the 50 hours there also count towards the 120? If I was doing my instrument training concurrently?

Keep in mind I understand that the 120 hours has some other built in requirements that have to be met, I'm just trying to gage the ACTUAL minimum aircraft rental time...is it 120 + what I log getting my private or is it 120 + 35 + 15 + my private pilot time or is it just 120 total.:yikes:

Thanks

The 141 instruction counts. The PIC time counts. Get the IR under 141 first then go after the Comm.

The 141 instruction counts. The PIC time counts. Get the IR under 141 first then go after the Comm.

My question was more about does the non-141 flight training towards my SEL count towards the 120 hours of 141 training towards my CSEL/CMEL

In other words, after my 30 hours of flight training logged getting SEL(PPL) would I then only have 90 hours more minimum to get my CSEL under 141

No. You need 120 hours in the commercial course. Your previous time doesn't count. Same with the 35 instrument.

To get private, IRA, and commercial all under 141 you'll have at least 190 hours.

No. You need 120 hours in the commercial course. Your previous time doesn't count. Same with the 35 instrument.

To get private, IRA, and commercial all under 141 you'll have at least 190 hours.

What he said

40PPL + 35IR + 120CP = 195TT so you can overlap 5hrs somewhere?.. but hey still sooner than 250TT part 61. Nobody is going to hire for anything besides instruction anyway less than 1200hrs unless you know someone. Maybe banner tow or skydiving maybe? Is there still 50X/C PIC req 141 in the FAR to lazy to search regs on phone. Hey that would be a great app! FAR APP

Last edited:
40PPL + 35IR + 120CP = 195TT so you can overlap 5hrs somewhere?.. but hey still sooner than 250TT part 61. Nobody is going to hire for anything besides instruction anyway less than 1200hrs unless you know someone. Maybe banner tow or skydiving maybe? Is there still 50X/C PIC req 141 in the FAR to lazy to search regs on phone. Hey that would be a great app! FAR APP

A full 141 curriculum is 35 PPL + 35 IR + 120 CP = 190.

Oh OK. I have always taught 61 so never really read 141 more than a glance here and there.

<---<^>--->

Back