question 18W on Medical application

U

Unregistered

In
MEDICAL CERTIFICATION STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES TRAINING:
I found this statement:

"Other convictions, such as murder, armed robbery, or child molestation, etc., may indicate a significant personality disorder that prevents the applicant from meeting the medical standards."

Does anyone know specifics about this, time limits, expungement, etc, or any way to mitigate this.

My crime was in 2000 but I am still on Community Custody until 2013. (released 2010)

[Depression was / is a factor. I am on celexa (faa approved) and wellbutrin (not faa-approved).
I am attempting to get off the wellbutrin, to go to only FAA approved medication. I only mention this as background and is not my main question.]

The guys I know that got busted on coke hauling had to wait 10 years from release.

The AOPA database says Celexa is allowed "case by case based on antidepressant protocol."

Does anyone know specifics about this, time limits, expungement, etc, or any way to mitigate this.
There aren't any. If anything in 18w ever happened, it's forever reportable.
My crime was in 2000 but I am still on Community Custody until 2013. (released 2010)
The only thing that matters as far as whether you have to report is whether or not you ever had a nontraffic conviction (either misdemeanor or felony). If you did, check yes and provide the details in the "Explanations" box. If not, check no and move on. Based on what you wrote, it appears you'll have to check yes and explain.

As for the impact of that on issuance of a medical certificate, it will depend on what your crime was and the details surrounding your conviction. Bruce will be able to tell you more about that (and the antidepressant issue) once he knows what happened.

Not knowing anything about the nature of the crime, there is no telling what the odds are.

When you combine any crime requiring post release supervision at the "decade" scale and combine it with psych meds, the safe bet is he's not going to get issued... not for several more years, and then it will be expensive. Just trying to give him a reality check before he spends too much money or even applies. Right now he can fly SP, if he submits that application that ability is in grave jeopardy. BTW, the "Community Custody" thing means it was an act of "moral turpitude" typically. I'm guessing the "child molestation" was the phrase that caught his attention from putting the post together. My guess, my guess is also that he shouldn't apply if he wants to fly.

In another 8 years of good result he can apply.

Last edited:
IIRC actually there is a list of crimes and their associated minimum deferral time. Then there is the issue of the 8710 application as well. IIRC there is a similar provision on that. Question is will they issue the Airman's Certificate regardless of the medical issue?

Maybe Hennings odds are off, but I can tell you that the combination of a criminal history and psych is going to result in at least a "you may not meet the requirements" letter demanding not only the full details of the criminal situation but the full PPP workup (a battery of psych tests and a eval from a board-certified PSYCHIATRIST). Also, when Bruce gets here he can tell you that the SSRI protocol (which he was involved in getting adopted) to get that "Celexa" approved is far from a rubber stamp like getting your high blood pressure medicine or whatever accepted.

I think I got your email, and answered in pretty good detail....if that wasn't you, ping again here.

This is the list of convictions you cannot have. If you do, FAA has to convene a panel to decide whether the risks of certifying you are worth it to the agency:

You can be a convicted felon and hold a certificate unless it is one the thing TSA says you can't do. The FAA says even if you are convicted you must mark the block on the application. One year from the conviction and you can apply for a certificate. The TSA 1544.229 rule states the following:

Disqualifying criminal offenses. An individual has a disqualifying criminal offense if the individual has been convicted, or found not guilty by reason of insanity, of any of the disqualifying crimes listed in this paragraph in any jurisdiction during the 10 years before the date of the individual's application for authority to perform covered functions, or while the individual has authority to perform covered functions. The disqualifying criminal offenses are as follows (within the preceeding 10 years):

(1) Forgery of certificates, false marking of aircraft, and other aircraft registration violation; 49 U.S.C. 46306.
(2) Interference with air navigation; 49 U.S.C. 46308.
(3) Improper transportation of a hazardous material; 49 U.S.C. 46312.
(4) Aircraft piracy; 49 U.S.C. 46502.
(5) Interference with flight crew members or flight attendants; 49 U.S.C. 46504.
(6) Commission of certain crimes aboard aircraft in flight; 49 U.S.C. 46506.
(7) Carrying a weapon or explosive aboard aircraft; 49 U.S.C. 46505.
(8) Conveying false information and threats; 49 U.S.C. 46507.
(9) Aircraft piracy outside the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States; 49 U.S.C. 46502(b).
(10) Lighting violations involving transporting controlled substances; 49 U.S.C. 46315.
(11) Unlawful entry into an aircraft or airport area that serves air carriers or foreign air carriers contrary to established security requirements; 49 U.S.C. 46314.
(12) Destruction of an aircraft or aircraft facility; 18 U.S.C. 32.
(13) Murder.
(14) Assault with intent to murder.
(15) Espionage.
(16) Sedition.
(17) Kidnapping or hostage taking.
(18) Treason.
(19) Rape or aggravated sexual abuse.
(20) Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive or weapon.
(21) Extortion.
(22) Armed or felony unarmed robbery.
(23) Distribution of, or intent to distribute, a controlled substance.
(24) Felony arson.
(25) Felony involving a threat.
(26) Felony involving --
(i) Willful destruction of property;
(ii) Importation or manufacture of a controlled substance;
(iii) Burglary;
(iv) Theft;
(v) Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation;
(vi) Possession or distribution of stolen property;
(vii) Aggravated assault;
(viii) Bribery; or
(ix) Illegal possession of a controlled substance punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than 1 year.

The problem you have is that we know that some of these are associated with psychiatric problems and so the battery of studies you may be required to have are....nearly out of this world, if you are not turned down flat.

The agency's attitude is "we don't have to certify you", and "Explain WHY we should certify you".

Last edited:
No, Ron. It just means that they won't consider you short the ten years. Your psychiatric state after ten years will be evaluated- and it rises and falls on the consultant's say-so.

4 axis evaluation
Cogscreen AE
About nine cognitive tests
Psych Panel
External FAA consultant review....
There's more if you really want to jump the hoops....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back