Queasy Wife

• Thread starter Unregistered Husband
  • Start date
U

Unregistered Husband

Is there a natural remedy for queasiness for my wife? She likes flying inasmuch as it gets her to fun places, but she does get queasy enough from time to time to throw up. I already know about flying early or at night--I'm asking about natural remedies. Thanks.

Brent Bradford said:
Ginger gum or pills. You can get them at natural food stores.
Mythbusters did a cool show on motion sickness. Ginger won for best results with least side effects.

Brian Austin said:
Mythbusters did a cool show on motion sickness. Ginger won for best results with least side effects.

Did they test the Relief Band (neuro-shock device that looks like a watch)? I've gotte pretty good results with it for myself and others.

I am the only one in hostory (apparently) that the ReliefBand did not work for. Aeromedix dot com sells them at about the best price. There are no side effects, unless you turn it up all the way, the you get a twitchy hand and a little tingling. Actually, it was a lot of tingling.

I had a severe motion sickness issue, and the ginger seemed to help quite a bit.

--Matt

Go early
Go high
Penetrate turbulence slowly
Minimize attitude changes, and rate of change
Keep lots of cool air flowing in the cabin

maybe she won't need any remedy

My wife uses Dramamine - not very 'natural', though. The non-drowsy stuff doesn't seem to knock her out as bad, though.

My mom found that keeping a pack of saltine crackers and a Sprite/7UP with her on trips helped ease her stomach.

Be interested to see what other folks use. My wife (of 6 months) loves flying (I've even got her some 'stick' time) but she just gets a little 'iffy' sometimes.

-Chris

lancefisher said:
Did they test the Relief Band (neuro-shock device that looks like a watch)? I've gotte pretty good results with it for myself and others.
Yes. There was some effect but nearly as much as with ginger. One of the guys got really, really seasick regularly. Like VIOLENTLY sick. No effects at all with ginger.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Go early
Go high
Penetrate turbulence slowly
Minimize attitude changes, and rate of change
Keep lots of cool air flowing in the cabin

maybe she won't need any remedy

Ditto. Top the haze transition or top the cloud layer. When you do so the cabin temperature will usually plummet (OAT will drop ~20 F degrees) and the bumps will usually disappear; one of the side benefits of an instrument rating.

Thanks for the help. We have some ginger gum, and I will be putting the IR to good use. Funny, I always liked topping the clouds for the spectacular view, but I never really thought about the bumps!

Dear U.H: Consider a turbocharger. Really. About 10,000 agl there is almost no surface heating....it's really smooth.

bbchien said:
Dear U.H: Consider a turbocharger. Really. About 10,000 agl there is almost no surface heating....it's really smooth.

Hehehe... I LOVE that answer. :D

-Chris

As a scuba diver, I'm well acquainted with motion-sickness. The relief-band works well, until you take it off to dive. Ginger seems to help most.

I find conditioning works really well. I get up early before dives, eat a huge breakfast, lots of colorful food... then feed the fish. Like jobs, after you get used to it you don't really mind.

Seriously, ginger things and the relief-band worked well for me.

CJones said:
Hehehe... I LOVE that answer. :D

-Chris

Yeah until you have to maintain the turbocharger and realize you can get pretty high without one.

:blueplane: w/ no turbocharger in the Rockies.

Casting my vote for the shocker-bands. :) Plus they're fun to watch when they turn it on too high.

Let her drive. :D

I noticed that my motion-sickness as a passenger decreased the more I flew. I think a lot of it had to do with nerves and just getting my "sky-legs."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back