Queasy flyer

rtm1958

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ray
OK, I got my private license back in 1981. Low time pilot, aprox 150 hrs. Had no issues other than money. Got out for many years. Now, at age 53 I decided to get back into it. Looking at flying under sport pilot and glider pilot rules. Short story is, I went out today for my first motor glider lesson and had to cut it short due to some queasiness. Did not want to push the issue. Never had a problem before and to be fair, it was a rather bouncy day out there. I really want to do this, but if I get uneasy every time the weather gets a little bouncy it will hinder my training, not to mention my regular flying. Thinking about getting a prescription for a patch. Any thoughts? Other better solutions? Thanks. Embarassing to admit, but even worse to miss out on flying, or getting into a dangerous situation, so I'll let my ego sit in the back seat for this one. Thanks.

Over the years numerous pilots have mentioned that their tolerance for bumps and whifferdills has decreased with age. Mine has too. Accordingly, I would advise you to try it again under better conditions and evaluate your body's reaction.

OK, I got my private license back in 1981. Low time pilot, aprox 150 hrs. Had no issues other than money. Got out for many years. Now, at age 53 I decided to get back into it. Looking at flying under sport pilot and glider pilot rules. Short story is, I went out today for my first motor glider lesson and had to cut it short due to some queasiness. Did not want to push the issue. Never had a problem before and to be fair, it was a rather bouncy day out there. I really want to do this, but if I get uneasy every time the weather gets a little bouncy it will hinder my training, not to mention my regular flying. Thinking about getting a prescription for a patch. Any thoughts? Other better solutions? Thanks. Embarassing to admit, but even worse to miss out on flying, or getting into a dangerous situation, so I'll let my ego sit in the back seat for this one. Thanks.

That thought has crossed my mind as well. Before I get too heavy into it, I guess I should make sure I can do it. Went deep sea fishing once. 8-10 foot seas, 25 mph wind, night, big swells, 50 miles out. I was one sick puppy. Been on lots of boats. Owned and sailed one of my own. No problems. Maybe it's partly age, partly conditions, and partly being out of it for so long. At any rate, thank you for the advice.

I would avoid medications as many of them have unwanted side effects(read sedation) that the FAA will frown upon. When I have gone boating and have gotten queasy it was always as a passenger(typically for dive trips in late winter early spring or late fall early winter in New Jersey) the solution was to look out to the horizon. The cause is the disconnect between the ears telling your brain you are moving and your eyes telling the brain you are not. For flying I think this would mean to not look at your instruments and in the cockpit and keep your eyes looking straight ahead and limiting the speed in which you turn your head.

There are a number of bracelets on the market that seem to help with accupressure. My wife who is wildly seasick even in calm waters has used them successfully. They are about ten dollars in most boating stores.

Finally, as time goes on you will probably experience the queasiness less as you fly more.

Cannot comment on the age factor, but I am about your age and started flying two years ago and thankfully have avoid that unpleasant aspect of flying, but the again while training for a non flying job in the airforce I did not get sick in their version of the vomit comet for us.

Doug

Oooh. usually a bouncy day means lots of lift.

You can retrain away 90% of nausea (according to my old boss, USN). But that being said, this is a from a once-Lt that threw up on his instrument qual. ride.

Thanks for all the info. I will take advantage of all of it. And I'll get back in the air again.

Clear Air turbulence in the FL panhandle in the summer, very very hot. Blech. Worst part was cleaning out the A/C. I passed.

"Gary, you gotta flare for me"
"why?"
"Stick's too slippery".

sigh.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back