Quarry Crusher

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
I do four or five athletic events every year. Most of them are 5K or 10K running events, but I usually throw in a short distance triathlon most years. We have a new person in our marketing department who is an avid runner, and I casually mentioned that not far from our office, the Atlanta running of the Quarry Crusher event was taking place. What that is, is a 3.7 mile running event, where the first half of the 3.7 miles is running into the Vulcan Materials quarry. She thought it was a great idea, and immediately started trying to recruit other staffers to run the event. Now, this is no ordinary run, in that 1.85 mile one way trip down, it's 600 feet of vertical, which of course means it's 600 feet vertical up for the second 1.85 miles. We wound up with eight of us who were foolish or naive enough to try this.

Saturday morning dawns overcast and humid, with temperatures in the 50s. As you might have expected, a quarry looks something like a moonscape
QuarryFinisArea.jpg

QuarrySandPile.jpg

and has some impressively large equipment in it.
QuarryFrontEndLoader.jpg

QuarryTruck.jpg

The start time arrives, and we head off into the quarry. It's kind of a large square hole with a road winding down on the periphery. The road is made of compressed silt and is nice to run on, not too soft and not too hard. One of the three sides is not too steep, but the other three are more than a little so. I personally have some issues with the IT band in my left leg, and have to keep my steps short so as to not antagonize it. It's very tempting to extend your stride going downhill, but I just can't safely do that, so I don't. I had started towards the front with the woman from marketing, since she had a good shot at winning her age division she needed to be up front, and she wanted someone to go up with her, and that turned out to be me. On the way down, three of my coworkers passed me. I just had to let them go and keep my legs underneath me.

So, we start getting towards the bottom and we start hearing music. The quarry had gotten part of a marching band to play for us. The sound echoing off of the rock walls added an additional surreal touch to our already spacy surroundings.

It's not too hard to get to the bottom, as you'd expect. I stop for a few seconds and stretch my hamstrings, then set off up the road. The road starts off not too steep, but the climb seems to last forever. After a while the road steepens more, I start to run out of lungs, and have to drop back to a powerwalk for the steeps. Once things flatten out, or more correctly, get less steep, I go back to running, and that's my plan for the rest of the race. I manage to pass two of the coworkers who'd passed me on the way down, which almost feels good.

I finished in 42 minutes and 20 seconds, good enough for 10th out of 18 men in my (old) age group. I'll take it, I've never been much of a natural athlete and mid pack is the best I can expect in a group of serious runners.

I wasn't planning on doing this event next year, but it now I'm getting some peer pressure at work. A couple of them want to do the Double Crusher, essentially doing the quarry twice, which sounds more like punishment than fun. Once is enough for me.

They have a number of events across the country, if you're into these sort of things.

https://quarrycrusherrun.com/

The location proves.... one is never too old to play with big Tonka Toys.

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had some fun.

The location proves.... one is never too old to play with big Tonka Toys.

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had some fun.

Yeah, it was fun, in a strenuous kind of way. I'd been running hills in preparation for this, and as much as it pains me to say this, running hills is the best all around exercise I've ever done. I though I could go back to normal running after this event was over, but now I can see I have to throw in a couple of hill runs each month.

I'd never be capable of doing that unless I walked back up. :D

I used to run a 5K each day as part of my normal exercise routine, where 90% of it was flatland running. Only the last 1/4 mile or so was an uphill run of ~100ft elevation change. I could run that without breathing hard most days (except when it got hot/humid). I would also keep up that same running routine when traveling for business, which included central PA. Some of the state parks there were a true test of my 5K endurance. Several of those mountain trails could go 500-600' in elevation in less than a mile, makes the calves and quads burn!

Feels good to take a last run before your skydiving adventure huh?

I'd never be capable of doing that unless I walked back up. :D

Nearly everyone walked at least part of this. The coworker who recruited most of us to do this won the women's overall, and she walked part of it.

There was one in Birmingham earlier this year, maybe you'd like to give it a shot next year.

I used to run a 5K each day as part of my normal exercise routine, where 90% of it was flatland running. Only the last 1/4 mile or so was an uphill run of ~100ft elevation change. I could run that without breathing hard most days (except when it got hot/humid). I would also keep up that same running routine when traveling for business, which included central PA. Some of the state parks there were a true test of my 5K endurance. Several of those mountain trails could go 500-600' in elevation in less than a mile, makes the calves and quads burn!

In Atlanta, we always talk about the three H's, heat, hills, and humidity. I'm going up to Central Pennsylvania next month for my daughter's freshman orientation, I'll see if I can find a few trails like you were running.

Feels good to take a last run before your skydiving adventure huh?

That's still a week away, I'll get a couple more runs in. I hope the weather holds, right now there's about a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms, hopefully that will be of the afternoon and evening variety, we're booked in the first manifest of the day.

Hangie, that looks.......painful. My days of competitive running are over.

In Atlanta, we always talk about the three H's, heat, hills, and humidity. I'm going up to Central Pennsylvania next month for my daughter's freshman orientation, I'll see if I can find a few trails like you were running.

If you really want a climbing workout, 1000 Steps is SE ~45 minutes from State College and has a great view from the top. Not much of a jogging trail though. Canoe Creek State Park outside Altoona, PA (35 minutes South of Penn State) is great for a variety of joggable trails with good scenery. I've hiked the James Cleveland Trail as well (site of air mail pilot crash), but it's a bit rough on the ankles without some good hiking boots due to a pretty good sections of glacial rock.

Hangie, that looks.......painful. My days of competitive running are over.

It wasn't too bad. I'd been running hills for the last five or so weeks, so I was somewhat ready for it. The surface was soft enough to where your legs didn't take the beating they do on pavement.

I'm not sure I'm running competitively anyway. I wear a number, and they give me a time and a position at the end of the event, but I'm only competing with myself.

I'm not sure I'm running competitively anyway. I wear a number, and they give me a time and a position at the end of the event, but I'm only competing with myself.

After the valve replacement the Dr's said jogging was OK, running hard for time was not. Such is life.

Back