Quals/Endorsements

W.O'Boogie

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
W. O'Boogie
If someone began lessons in 1970 in a Cessna 140 and drifted away for whatever reason, then in the 1990's went back and got a PPL, are they TECHNICALLY qualified to fly a conventional gear aircraft? Old log book is available as documentation.

I know it would not be smart without some real and current training.:hairraise: Just want to know if it is technically OK. The next trick is finding that TW CFI around here.

tks

Did they solo (legally) in that AC?
See Part 61.31(i) which requires having logged PIC time before 1991.
I know the rules for PIC time was changed to allow solo time to count for student pilots. I'm not sure if that change is retroactive.

infotango said:
Did they solo (legally) in that AC?
See Part 61.31(i) which requires having logged PIC time before 1991.
I know the rules for PIC time was changed to allow solo time to count for student pilots. I'm not sure if that change is retroactive.

Valid point that I neglected to include. Yes, soloed in 10/71 in Cessna 140. Still would not be smart, I know. But I think I would be technically legal. Just not smart if I did not get some serious training.

rob is correct -- if you logged PIC time in a tailwheel airplane any time before 8/4/97, you are grandfathered on the 61.31 tailwheel section and do not need a tailwheel endorsement to act as PIC of a tailwheel airplane. In this context, all solo time counts as PIC time.

Just to clarify Ron, shouldn't your date read 4/15/91? I thought the HP/Complex change was 8/4/97.

Back