Qualification Under Basic Med

Stegoo_86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stego_86
So, I'm currently jumping through hoops to satisfy the FAA for my 3rd class renewal. I was recently deferred and I'm working with a HIMS AME to get an SI. However, I did some research today and found this:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/events/SO/SO35/2020/SO35102700/BasicMed_X13_Flying_Club_112120.pdf

From this document, and a few other sources, it appears that I can still fly under basic med while my medical is in deferral. If this is true, couldn't I keep working with my HIMS in prepping my SI package and fly until the FAA passes a judgment? I know that if they deny my request that my BM would no longer be valid, but I felt that this could be a good way to still practice and finish some ratings while I wait.

Last edited:
Go to the FAA’s opinions and interpretations page and hit Tilton.
The Tilton opinion is about Sport Pilot, which is a different standard. Eligibility for Sport depends on the most recent medical application being granted. Basic Med eligibility is based on not having been denied a medical. The Tilton letter recognizes this distinction.

So Basic Med should be available (if the other requirements are satisfied) unless/until the deferred application is denied.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back