QT Halo Headset

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Hey everyone, my new QT Halo headset just arrived and I was concerned that the case that houses the circuitry doesn't close properly. I contacted quiet technologies and they said that this is normal. I attached a picture. So for the other halo users out there... Does yours also look like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
Mine is nearly the same. It bothered me a bit when I got it as well.

But, for what it's worth, it's been working fine for the last 6 months.

I pipe music through my Lightspeed Zulu's through the audio panel. How do you think the sound quality of music would be through these?

I also bluetooth my phone directly to my Zulu's. I know the Halo's don't have Bluetooth, but can you plug a wire into the Halo's from a cell phone?

Thanks!

Mine does NOT look like that, but is an older model without the input jack.

I don't own one, but that does not look correct from your picture.

John

I have two, but neither has the input jack.

A little surprised at that.

Looks like Junk to me.

The headset, functionally, is not. I've had one for five years or so, the other for about four. One mic got crunched, QT owner offered to fix it for free, or send me the parts, my call. I had him send the parts, 3 minutes with some good gel superglue, like nuevo.

I pipe music through my Lightspeed Zulu's through the audio panel. How do you think the sound quality of music would be through these?

I also bluetooth my phone directly to my Zulu's. I know the Halo's don't have Bluetooth, but can you plug a wire into the Halo's from a cell phone?

Thanks!

Music sounds great in my YMF. Curious about the input jack. May have to trade one of my three in.

Ernie

Mine doesn't look like that. Looks like a QA issue.

However, as a general statement, the Halos are fantastic and loved in the community.

Mine doesn't look like that, but I'm sure if you insist, he'll replace it.

Mine doesn't look like that, but I'm sure if you insist, he'll replace it.

I asked about replacing it (and sent a picture) and the response was that they are all like that, so if it was replaced the new one would have the same issue....

I took the case off and tried to get it lined up with little success. I may just put some small zip ties around the case. It looks like it's a bad design with a single center screw holding the two pieces together. Hopefully once I fly with it I won't care.

Wayne,

As bad as it looks, It is not a manufacturer defect. I agree with you that it doesn't look to swell, but 100% of all of them are that way always have been that way for more than 10 years and in no way will affect the operation and performance of the headset.

Cheers

I also have no-side plug Halos, and the box is neatly closed. It looks like I hit the Mono-Stereo slider pretty hard once, but I still get good stereo sound. It's worked great the last 4+ years. Once you start using it, you'll love it; if not, return it for a refund.

Once I thought I was having problems, the right side hardly had any sound. Removed earplug to check, the tube was about to come off. Pushed it back onto the little barb, it's been working fine ever since.

Post a follow up with how they work for you.

After a few times, putting them in gets easier, but the first few times it pays to reach over your head and pull the ear up while sliding the plug in. Right hand pulls left ear up while left hands pushes plug in. In time, it becomes a one-handed process.

I'm a happy older model owner, but if I paid over $350 and he said that was normal he'd be getting them back along with a note on where to put them. When I talked to him at Oshkosh years ago he seemed irritated when asked about adding bluetooth or an extra input. Like it was too much trouble for him. Now he has to defend his choice of not getting a $5 box remade to fit properly.

I went ahead and unscrewed the case, lined up the wires a little better, and just zip tied the sides. I'll pick up some longer zip ties so I get the zip part away from the volume control, but at least this makes me feel better about it. Still a little disappointed about this issue that QT openly admits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 54
On a side note, does anyone know how to post multiple pictures from an iPhone on here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
I went ahead and unscrewed the case, lined up the wires a little better, and just zip tied the sides. I'll pick up some longer zip ties so I get the zip part away from the volume control, but at least this makes me feel better about it. Still a little disappointed about this issue that QT openly admits.

That is BS that a company would admit that all of their products are falling apart like that and not offer to resolve the issue. They may work good, great if they do. but it still makes it look like a cheap piece of junk. Heck, they could have at least offered to send you the zip ties or included them in the box if it was a known issue.

I love mine and they do not look like that. In fact, I have two pairs. I'd send it back and tell him your going to get the the Clairity Alofts because his QC plain sucks. Looks to me like they did a redesign and tried stuffing it into the old case to avoid retooling.

Mine is fine on the side with the headphone jack, but slightly separated on the other side. Not as much as yours though. It looks like the grommet may be too big for the hole.

i guess i have a different model as mine doesn't have that plug/jack. The case is tight all the way around. I keep mine in the case when I'm not using it and the 'box' stays in the side pouch in the plane after it's plugged in and set so for the most part it doesn't get disturbed. I'd guess mine's about a year old or so - guess there's a new design.

FWIW, I love mine. Was considering buying another set for my wife since she likes to sleep in the plane but can't with the normal headsets on...but if the QA is that shoddy (as someone mentioned...looked like they did a redesign and skimped on retooling the casing) I'll pass for now.

Last edited:
I was also about ready to pull the trigger on a Halo purchase. Thats disappointing that they would tell you that is normal. It certainly doesn't look normal.

Mine doesn't look like that either. The guy has decent customer service but he is really defensive about his product. I wasn't happy with the mic gain on mine, he offered to change it for free but was real defensive about it. For the money I love them though and would probably buy them again if mine died. He is making a heck of a profit though as they are not the best built product around.

Back