QT Halo Ear Tips Exchange?

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
On the off chance anyone else out there is in the same boat (plane?) as me, I figured I'd post asking if anyone wants to exchange ear tips for the Halos. I use the standard yellow tips and have whatever else came with the initial purchase available for trade. I can always buy the yellow tips from QT directly, but $1.50/pair plus shipping costs more than "I have a ton of extra laying around that you can just have for free (or in exchange for the other tips that come with a new headset purchase)."

The life of the foam plugs can be extended significantly by periodic washing. Just use some soap and hand wash them in the sink.

I throw them in with the laundry ... Put em in a lingerie bag or sock.

So thought I would inquire about a pirep on the Halo headsets... given the size and the claimed noise reduction, I'd like to see if those with it think its worth the cost..

What do you like about it?

What do you NOT like about it?

Price is a bargain in the in-ear segment.
I love the sound quality.
Hate the headband, cord slippage thru the clip, and location of the volume control (too close to the plugs).
Wish it had audio-in like the Lightspeed Mach 1.
(Rumor has it there may now be some built-in option for external audio?)

Overall, I prefer the Mach 1. But, it just doesn't handle my noisy RV as well as the Halo.

After 7 years with ITE, I can't imagine going back to a head clamp.

IIRC, there are other pireps on PoA...

I don't know about QT, but Clarity Aloft would keep me supplied out of OSH or S-n-F freebies.

Love my Halos! Going on 4 years now. New ones have music input, and separate L/R volume control. Never used the foam inserts, the silicone ones work great and last forever.

Two things to remember coming from clamp-o-matic headsets: always use the shirt clip, so the weight of the cord doesn't pull it off your head [the headset weighs nothing!]; and always remember to take off the headset before trying to exit the aircraft. [Yeah, sometimes I still forget, it weighs nothing and there is no discomfort to remind me that I'm wearing a headset.]

So thought I would inquire about a pirep on the Halo headsets... given the size and the claimed noise reduction, I'd like to see if those with it think its worth the cost..

What do you like about it?

What do you NOT like about it?

I loved the Halos from the beginning, but recently added the Pilot BluLink bluetooth adapter to the setup and think they're just about perfect. My only complaints are that the shirt clip could be a little better (the cord slides through the clip pretty easily... a picky/minor complaint) and the cord is longer than I need and too thin/lightweight. I've now severed the cord by closing it in the door twice. First time was a free fix; this last time ran me $50. Truthfully, though, it's my fault for not verifying the cord is clear from the door before closing it (something I expect I'll be better at now that I know the repair is $50 vs the initial freebie).

I'd highly recommend them vs any over-the -ear option and, with the free trial (45 days, I think?) it's easy to try them out without any risk.

Thanks for the ideas to wash them (didn't know you could do that), the link to buy cheaper replacements and the idea to hit up the manufacturer for some freebies at AirVenture in a few weeks!

I just got a pair of QT Halos yesterday and will try them out tomorrow. I was just wondering about the ear tip connection to the tubes. Do they stay secure? I just barely got it over the little rib on the end. I was afraid by pushing harder I would end up weakening the connection where the elbow adapter goes in the tube.

On a second note, I was thinking about dropping the tips in a little Hydrogen Peroxide to clean them? That's what I use to clean my ears. It's the main active ingredient in Murine. When I drop that in my ears it immediately starts bubbling the wax off. Just seems like it would be less rough on the tips.

They stay plenty secure. I just replaced my tips (with a free pair I managed to get at AirVenture) and held the elbow in one hand and pushed from the foam end of the tip with the other hand. The tube on the ear tip is maybe a half inch long and I just pushed until it went over the rib on the elbow. (If this doesn't make sense let me know and I can take/attach a photo.)

When I pulled off the old ear tips it took quite a bit more force than I expected to get them disconnected. Not that I had any concerns (after a few years of problem-free usage) before but, after that, I don't see any way they'd just fall off.

Thanks, Marty. I don't guess a picture is necessary, but maybe the length of tube that is covering the elbow. Mine are just on by millimeter or so. The end of my ear tip tube is just barely over the little rib.

I throw them in with the laundry ... Put em in a lingerie bag or sock.

Yep. I inadvertantly left some the eartips from my wife's Clarity Aloft in my pocket once and they came through the laundry so well that I've laundered others (through them in a small lingerie bag with the normal wash and then air dry).
As long as the foam is still intact and not torn you can do this indefinitely.

Thanks, Marty. I don't guess a picture is necessary, but maybe the length of tube that is covering the elbow. Mine are just on by millimeter or so. The end of my ear tip tube is just barely over the little rib.

Allow me to amaze and astound with my graphic artist abilities. ;-)

r9fpdft53

Edit: Or fail miserably trying to attach an image. Not sure what's going wrong...

Attachments

• QT.JPG
    QT.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
That's better. OK, so as long as you get part of the ear tip "straw" over that ridge, it seems to hold REALLY well. If you're concerned about it, though, you could always tug on the ear tip to see how snug it's holding.

Awesome Graphic Artist demonstration! Thanks, Marty. Looks like I need to shove them on better. The straw end is tiny. I was like O.J. trying to put on a glove.

Glad I could help. If you hold the elbow and push from the foam, that seems to do the trick. It slides on slowly, though, so you may have to push for a few seconds (and maybe even slightly twist the ear tip?)... I honestly can't remember. But the "straw" will go over that ridge. And when it does, it's on plenty good.

Back