Q? Cirrus SR20 deploys parachute

Three hours under the hood for a PPL student is still pretty thin as far as I'm concerned. I think something closer to six hours would be better. There should be no rush to get a ticket in minimum time for either the student or the CFI. The syllabus is a minimum guideline, not a mandate with limitations.

I've also heard advocation of putting a PPL student even into actual IMC during the end of their training. It drills in the necessity of relying on instruments and it builds confidence they can get out of a bad situation should it occur.

I did a lot of my training during the months of June and July, when there was a lot of clouds and rain in the Houston area. There were several times my CFI would file IFR to get out of the airport and then we'd cancel when we got to an area with VFR conditions for the lesson. There were also several times when we'd be out there practicing, then have to file a pop-up IFR clearance to get back to the airport. About 1 hr of the minimum 3 in my training were in actual IFR, including 1 ILS approach. All in all, it was great practice!

Back