PVOL

A

Anosmia

Following a very bad head cold (early Aug thru - well still a bit of adverse throat action going on now), both my wife & myself lost our sense of taste & smell. In part, this is apparently referred to as Post Viral Olfactory Loss, among other names. Mine is returning slowly, not hers. Readings suggest this could be permanent or last 6-12mo. Anyone else experience this or know more?
Otherwise we are recovering normally & did not use anything but typical otc drugs during the event. Plenty of flu & colds in the past but never this sequella.

Yes, my son-in-law had that! Not the SIL that makes titanium straws, but the other one. He completely lost his sense of smell which meant his sense of taste was gone, he said it was miserable, he could not enjoy food. It lasted a long time, he was resigned to it being permanent. It's been two or three years now, and just recently we heard that his sense of smell is beginning to return. Yay! Best of luck to your wife, tell her try not to worry, even if it lasts a long time there is hope. Hopefully hers won't be as long as my SIL.

Being subject to a viral infection for a month is bad juju. Recovery or lack thereof will depend on how badly the viruses damaged the nasal mucosa. Sorry, no good advice, don't know you or your situation.

Moral of the story, when you get a viral infection you should stay home, keep warm, drink lots of chicken soup. Viruses can be really dangerous, especially to us old farts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back