Putting up the Flag

I agree...

http://www.billcook.net/puttin-up-the-flag.html

Flag is up every day at my house for similar reasons and many more.

(Unless the outside light fails... no flag in the dark.)

Speaking of the flag, since when did the flag of the United States become a cape to be worn by US athletes, or wrapped around their necks like gym towels? I friggin hate seeing that.

If I were an athlete who just won an event at the Olympics, and someone handed me the flag, I swear I would find someone, fold the flag properly, and hand it back to the person who gave it to me.

I have the flag that draped my dad's coffin (WWII vet) in a case, in a place of honor in my office. Growing up, my dad had us put the flag up at sunrise (or when I finished my frosted flakes, but before leaving for school) and definitely down at sunset. Every day, inclement Wx notwithstanding.

Waving it behind you after winning a medal isn't anywhere near as bad as cutting a hole in the center of it and using it as a pancho like Kid Rock did in the superbowl a few years back (same event as Janet's wardrobe malfunction).

wikipedia says:
It should be illuminated if displayed at night.

Lit if night.
Some of the other issues, like not flying in the rain is largely supplanted by more modern materials that are not going to end up with damage if the flag remains wet, etc...

It did? My wife keeps insisting I just leave it out, and I can't do that. Don't tell me she's right.

Technically she's right. The theory is that it's far better to fly the flag than not, and people shouldn't let lack of a light cause them to not fly it or to retire it.

The Flag Code was created by Teddy Roosevelt, and contains the basic rules for display and respect of the Flag. That includes the condition that the flag be retired in inclement weather, but allows that it may be displayed by private citizens at night, if properly lighted.

The Flag Code hasn't been altered in that respect; it's also not legally binding, in that there is no provision for enforcement. Violation of the flag code does not carry a penalty.

There is no binding requirement to light, or not light the flag at night. The Flag Code still carries that requirement, but again, it's not binding or a requirement to the private citizen. Also worth noting is that the same provision in the Flag Code that applies to lighting the flag requires retiring during inclement weather, except for all-weather flags, such as modern flags made of nylon.

Another popular misconception has been a requirement to burn the flag if it touches the ground. This is not, and never was the case.

The flag code stipulates that flags may never be worn. You may notice that SWA, among other companies, authorizes it's pilots to wear flag ties; these ties are classified as the wearing of the flag, and constitute violations of the Flag Code.

Another interesting tidbit of respect and decorum given the flag was that of the salute; originally it was a military salute, as designed by the writer of the Pledge. However, it was changed to hand over the heart, and upon completion of the Pledge of Allegiance, the hand was extended toward the flag, palm down. Entering WWII, that token of respect was determined to be too similar in appearance to the Nazi salute, and was dropped back to hand over the heart.

More than you ever wanted to know about display of the Flag:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Speaking of the flag, since when did the flag of the United States become a cape to be worn by US athletes, or wrapped around their necks like gym towels? I friggin hate seeing that.

If I were an athlete who just won an event at the Olympics, and someone handed me the flag, I swear I would find someone, fold the flag properly, and hand it back to the person who gave it to me.

I have the flag that draped my dad's coffin (WWII vet) in a case, in a place of honor in my office. Growing up, my dad had us put the flag up at sunrise (or when I finished my frosted flakes, but before leaving for school) and definitely down at sunset. Every day, inclement Wx notwithstanding.

Bothered me too, though I did see another country drop theirs, pick it up, and proceed to towel off with it.

Nice video. I think I need to go make a purchase. Kyle

Tell that our military.
I suggest you duck and run if you do.

The military is one of the few organizations authorized to fly the flag at all times, in certain locations.

I don't need to duck and run. I've spent enough years in combat zones not ducking and running, I'm not about to start now.

I've wondered if people with interment flags (coffin drapes) might like to have them displayed in a public place with a suitable attribution (such as flag pole at the airport with a plaque honoring the individual) until the flag is worn out instead of keeping it at home where no one sees it but them. Sort of like my philosophy with my grandmother's quilts. They will be used until totally worn out instead of being parked in a drawer somewhere.

Excellent video. I fly the flag on my property daily. Colors at 0800 and at sunset, as I do not have illumination for it. I don't fly it in the rain either. There is one flag of the US that is authorized to be flown day and night in all weather conditions as a symbol of its organization's commitment to be always ready. :D

<<<Another interesting tidbit of respect and decorum given the flag was that of the salute; originally it was a military salute, as designed by the writer of the Pledge. However, it was changed to hand over the heart, and upon completion of the Pledge of Allegiance, the hand was extended toward the flag, palm down. Entering WWII, that token of respect was determined to be too similar in appearance to the Nazi salute, and was dropped back to hand over the heart.>>>

Military veterans are now authorized to "render honors" to the flag, and national anthem, with a military salute.

http://www.military.com/benefits/resources/rules-for-rendering-hand-salute-of-u.s.-flag

I landed just before 5pm at Merill Field in Anchorage last week. I was getting ready to turn on the pump to refuel when I heard the music. I had not been on a military base at 5pm to hear that for years.

Later, the FBO told me that they call always hear retreat from the local AFB, only 3 miles away.

Don't get me started on the everyday violations of the US Flag Code, starting with our own USPS. The standard first class stamp has the flag on it. The flag code states that the image of the flag should never be placed on anything disposable.

Then there's BoA's use of the image in their logo.

And Budweiser's recent redesign of their can to look like the flag.

And sports teams that put the flag on their cap, helmet or sleeve.

All are in violation of the code.

Ignorant patriotism...sometimes it's just as abrasive as the unpatriotic.

Speaking of which:

That rule of etiquette went away a number of years ago.

Wrong.
http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

More specifically:
§174. Time and occasions for display

(a) Display on buildings and stationary flagstaffs in open; night display
It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on the everyday violations of the US Flag Code, starting with our own USPS. The standard first class stamp has the flag on it. The flag code states that the image of the flag should never be placed on anything disposable.

It is a FOREVER Stamp! :wink2:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Barb

Then there's BoA's use of the image in their logo.

And Budweiser's recent redesign of their can to look like the flag.

And sports teams that put the flag on their cap, helmet or sleeve.

All are in violation of the code.

Ignorant patriotism...sometimes it's just as abrasive as the unpatriotic.

Speaking of which:

Wrong.
http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

More specifically:

I use to be right there with you Tim, but it is a losing battle. Not many people care about flag rules anymore. We use to have competitions in grade school to see who would raise the flag every morning, BEFORE school started. Two of us would raise it, and two would take it down after school, fold it properly and hand it to the principle in his office as we stood at attention. This was grade school. Today, a custodian does it. :rolleyes:

Most kids could care less today.

Last edited:
There is an appropriate option and that is to shine a light on it.

It's an option, but not a requirement. I linked the Flag Code and explained it, and why it's not a requirement.

No, right.

Read my previous post on the subject.

The US Flag Code is not a law basically because it would be unconstitutional. So, it is handed down to us simply as a "code" of how to honor and respect our national symbol.

Those who are ignorant of it are annoying but somewhat excused. Those who knowingly choose to ignore it however...

Last edited:
We use to have competitions in grade school to see who would raise the flag every morning, BEFORE school started. Two of us would raise it, and two would take it down after school, fold it properly and hand it to the principle in his office as we stood at attention.

Wow that revives long forgotten memories. We did something very similar. And did it in high school too. Catholic school...so we sprinkled holy water on it every day too. Okay...maybe I made that part up. :)

But, being a part of raising and lowering the flag was viewed as an honor by the kids...all the way through high school.

Doesn't every politician wear a flag pin?

Honoring the flag is kind of like religion; each of us get to do so in our own way. THAT is what the video truly says. No tinpot dictator can say we're wrong.
The code isn't rule of law and was written 100 years ago. I would rather someone display the flag than not. I would rather they honor WHAT it stands for than not. I would rather be allowed to chose MY WAY than not.
And like religion, there are those that only do so on "special days" and those who object to however it is done.
And there always will be. Ain't it great!

Wow that revives long forgotten memories. We did something very similar. And did it in high school too. Catholic school...so we sprinkled holy water on it every day too. Okay...maybe I made that part up. :)

But, being a part of raising and lowering the flag was viewed as an honor by the kids...all the way through high school.

Ditto. Catholic grade school.

Back