Putting the PPL to use

tylerdurden4543

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tylerdurden4543
Hi everyone,

Been lurking around the training board for about two years but finally got my PPL and now looking to put it to use. Before I dive headfirst, I thought I'd see if there's anyone around the area (I've been flying out of KCDW - Caldwell, NJ -- and planning to rent from Century Air) that could offer some ideas on the following:

• Any suggestions on good flying clubs/rental outfits or even partnership opportunities in the area?
  • Where should I go first? Want to slowly build my confidence but also looking to explore a bit...have yet to fly east of Caldwell through the Bravo so Long Island might be out for a while until I do that once with the instructor
  • Any good tips on groups or clubs to meet other pilots and partake in activities to learn more?
Thanks much for the advice.
Tyler

If you want to find out about nearby flyins, try this:
http://www.flyincalendar.com/
There are lots of pancake breakfasts this time of year. There are 3 within 100 miles of Caldwell on the this weekend.

This Sunday, you can hop across the Hudson to Danbury and meet the guys in NorthEast Pilots Group, too. They usually have something going every weekend through the summer and into the colder months, too. They'll be heading down to the Smoketown flyin on Aug11, which you should be able to get to, too.
http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/

Last edited:
I used to be based out of MMU. If you never flew east before I highly recommend you go for a trip to Block Island (KBID). You wont even have to go though bravo if you don't want to, just head north of a couple of miles.

Thanks -- the fly ins look like a nice relaxing way to introduce the wife to short hops and the NE Pilots Group might be good to hook up with to share ideas and stories.

I'll look into Block Island -- I'm definitely up for going through the Bravo just want to do it (and the Hudson River VFR corridor) once with the instructor first

Thanks for asking your question because I've been wondering similar things since I got my PPL. I'm on the other side of the class bravo out on Long Island. I'm gonna look into those links above too.

I was hesitant to do the bravo transition at first but I just did it with an instructor about a month ago. It was really very easy. Just got some vectors and both times flew directly over JFK as they seem to use that VOR as a course for smaller planes in that section. It was awesome flying over JFK and watching the line of planes waiting to take off. I'd be willing to bet that once you fly with a CFI you'll be fine by yourself.

Thanks for asking your question because I've been wondering similar things since I got my PPL. I'm on the other side of the class bravo out on Long Island. I'm gonna look into those links above too.

I was hesitant to do the bravo transition at first but I just did it with an instructor about a month ago. It was really very easy. Just got some vectors and both times flew directly over JFK as they seem to use that VOR as a course for smaller planes in that section. It was awesome flying over JFK and watching the line of planes waiting to take off. I'd be willing to bet that once you fly with a CFI you'll be fine by yourself.
There's also the "Shoreline Transition" under the B-space at 500 AGL just offshore along the Jones/Long/Rockaway beaches. Call Kennedy Tower over the Jones Beach Monument for the "Shoreline Transition westbound" and they'll give you a squawk and freq, and provide traffic advisories. It can be very busy this time of year with all the banner towers and the like, but in the winter, it's just you and the seagulls.

There's also the "Shoreline Transition" under the B-space at 500 AGL just offshore along the Jones/Long/Rockaway beaches. Call Kennedy Tower over the Jones Beach Monument for the "Shoreline Transition westbound" and they'll give you a squawk and freq, and provide traffic advisories. It can be very busy this time of year with all the banner towers and the like, but in the winter, it's just you and the seagulls.

One of my favorite routes! A lot of fun down at 500 along the beach with traffic advisories from JFK:)

Back