Putting it all together

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
My CFII has described the upcoming X-C as his "final exam." He ain't gonna say anything during the flight, and he ain't gonna help none, neither. If I need his help, I fail. That's some pressure, but I understand why he wants it that way. He doesn't want to send someone on their way with the IR without feeling that they are really PIC in IMC. After that, though, we do a long debrief, and plan an intensive week or two of flying in preparation for the checkride.

Now, I know that the cleanup time after the X-C will help me to put everything together, but I'd like to do this before the X-C, if possible. I know there will be four approaches, and most of the flying will be PP. Previous to this, I've psyched myself up for just a couple of things for each flight, for instance, NDB holds and ILSs; but now I have to be ready for basically everything.

I am, therefore, now asking anyone for their advice for putting all the pieces in place. I know, I will get sleep the night before, relax, and have my Gingko. Anything else?

wangmyers said:
Anything else?
A couple fingers of Scotch usually helps calm my nerves before a checkride. Just brush your teeth real good right afterward...or take 1/2 tin of Altoids. If he sees you crying due to your "fresh, minty breath", just tell him your Grandmother just passed away but you feel a duty to press on for her.*

*Disclaimer: the above is, of course, a joke. I would NEVER lie about when my Grandmother passed away. :p

Brian Austin said:
A couple fingers of Scotch usually helps calm my nerves before a checkride.

Mmmmmm. I'm sure it would. My CFII's "checkrides" are brutal compared to the real thing.

Thinking how most of the X-C will be partial panel, I'm sure I'd like a scotch afterwards! :martini:

What do you CFIIs do to help students put it all together before their X-C?

Ben,

(Not a CFI, but) I think you understand approaches better than many rated pilots. I think at this point your only real potential for trouble is not understanding a clearance. This is an easy trap, and although in the real world it almost never happens and when it does, 99% of the time a nice controller gently prods you back to non-deviant status, on check-rides a deviation is a bust. Of course, such things can be fatal in IMC...hence the reason for the strict attitude.

Somtimes you really need to think them through as you compare them to the charts.

My advice is think things through before you do them, and if you don't understand, ask the controller for clarification. This has, thank God, kept me in the never-deviated club.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

Ben, look at the enroutes and get a rough idea where the critical VORTACs are (Look at the approaches and transitions). For example, if you fly IFR into NYC airspace and don't know where Deer Park or Solberg Vortacs are you're SOL. I wouldn't even go so far as to look at the preferred IFR routes in the AFD- but I know you will.

I think the best way is to acquire a general knowledge of the IFR landscape, and to take a good 40 seconds prior to the approach and Brief it systematically.
Missed
DH/MDA
Nav Setup
Radar or not? How to get to the IAF inbound
Transition from airway to the IAF, altitudes for same

and have at.

I guess one of the points that is concerning me is that the day I do the cross country, I won't have flown a plane for three weeks. My CFII says not to worry since 1) I have been having regular lessons in the sim, and I'm up on all the IFR stuff; and as to the landings, 2) I'm not a 60-hour pilot, and that three weeks shouldn't really make much of a difference.

The other part was that we're doing this in the Zlin, which I love. Also, the last time we went up, we did four landings, just to complete the checkout in the bird. She's a pussycat to land, so that helps, too. LOL! In any event, we're going to fly four approaches and four landings, so I guess I'll have ironed out any problems by the end of the flight!

One nice part about the upcoming flight is that there is a good chance it will happen, because my CFII is willing to do it in IMC since I have some hours in that category. I'd love to have some clouds!

Thanks, Bruce. I think you're saying I need to mentally fly the route beforehand, looking for gotchas, right? I probably also ought to prepare alternate approaches to the ones my CFII said we'll do. Duh. Sometimes an approach is down or won't be approved. Why am I only thinking about this now? :confused:

bbchien said:
Ben, look at the enroutes and get a rough idea where the critical VORTACs are (Look at the approaches and transitions). For example, if you fly IFR into NYC airspace and don't know where Deer Park or Solberg Vortacs are you're SOL. I wouldn't even go so far as to look at the preferred IFR routes in the AFD- but I know you will.

I think the best way is to acquire a general knowledge of the IFR landscape, and to take a good 40 seconds prior to the approach and Brief it systematically.
Missed
DH/MDA
Nav Setup
Radar or not? How to get to the IAF inbound
Transition from airway to the IAF, altitudes for same

and have at.

I encourage my students to use Microsoft Flight Simulator to get familiar with areas and IFR procedures they're encountering for the first time.

Of course, you must understand that the NavData in Flight Simulator isn't current, but I've "flown" Flight Simulator all over the country (indeed, in lots of places around the world), and I rarely encounter major discrepancies on important stuff like VORs. And even if a charted arrival procedure, approach, or departure has changed, the navaids supporting the procedure typically don't. So in most cases, you can still fly the currently charted procedure. Just observe the new headings, courses, altitudes, etc.

Don't sweat the type of aircraft you're flying. Pick one that's close in performance and basic equipment to what you fly. Use the autopilot so you can focus on finding, tuning, and identifying fixes. In other words, use Flight Simulator to add a interactive, visual element to your "mental flying."

For more information that may help you use Flight Simulator effectively, see:
http://www.bruceair.com/flight_simulator_links.htm on my Web site.

Thanks, Bruce. I am using MSFS2004 a lot. I like your site, too!

Back