Putting GA + IFR to use next week in the Southeast!

AirDC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Well, I am heading off a fun, 9-day business trip next weekend from DC for my longest solo trip to date. Taking the club 182RG @ 150kts w/ autopilot, TIS, G430w, Stratus 2, FF, strikefinder, JPI and 88 gallons of sweet sweet avgas. Just my pomapoo and I cruising around the country, jamming to some bluetooth music, 5T-ing, living the dream, and trying to drum up some business.

I am thrilled to be putting my recent IFR rating to use across the southeast, and am sure there will be a lot of learning experiences along the way. I am looking forward to the challenges of weather planning, weird routing, cool airports, and real world approaches (hoepfully). Seems like a good time of year for dispatch rate, assuming there aren't any tropical storms in Florida. I obvioulsy have some flexibility in times built into my plan for weather. Yes - I got about 5 hours of actual in training, have done real approaches to minimums, and have gotten some meaningful XC time (to Nunavut last year). I am planning on keeping my decision making on the conservative side.

Here is my plan:

9/29 - Montgomery County Airpark (KGAI) to Nashville International (KBNA) 3.5hrs. Staying downtown at the Hutton. Some client meetings on Monday then a conference tues-thurs. Will be around sunday eve if anyone local wants to grab a beer or dinner.

10/3 - Nashville (KBNA) - Northwest Florida Beaches (KECP) - 2.5hr Staying with a client at his vacation home in Rosemary Beach, FL. He is a fellow pilot who has worked hard enough to own/fly a Piaggio and SR22. He has a few motorcycles and other fun toys down there and we are going to cruise Thunder Beach one day with a group of industry friends, spend the rest of the time on the beach, eating, and drinking wine.

10/6 Norwest Florida Beaches - Charlotte Monroe Executive - 2.5hrs
Staying with a client with a house near the airport, and meeting with a couple other companies around the area.

10/7 Charlotte - Montgomery County, MD - 2 hours
Need to be back home in time to catch a flight to the Broadmoor on 10/9, otherwise would have extended this trip another week!

Airline costs for the non-stop flights (what I get reiumbursed at) would be about $1500. This trip if things go as planned will be about $2000 in ~12 hours of tach time, so am more than happy to eat the difference personally - even if it runs way over with unanticipated stops, routing, and change of plans. Should be quite the adventure.

Whose excited?

This Guy

Looks like fun! I stayed at the Hutton last weekend. A nice hotel for sure.

One suggestion - we went into John C Tune instead of BNA. They were nice there and the fuel is $2/gallon cheaper.

One suggestion - we went into John C Tune instead of BNA. They were nice there and the fuel is $2/gallon cheaper.

And right hand pattern for one runway! :redface:

Be safe and enjoy, Andrew. Sounds like a great trip.

Ted - I am slightly impartial because we get reimbursed for fuel and I am only taking on 15 gallons. I emailed both and Atlantic at BNA got back to me sooner and parking fees were slightly less expensive at BNA.

Any idea which one will typically be easier to get in/out of IFR? A more direct routing into and waiting on a clearance out of?

Well, I am heading off a fun, 9-day business trip next weekend from DC for my longest solo trip to date. Taking the club 182RG @ 150kts w/ autopilot, TIS, G430w, Stratus 2, FF, strikefinder, JPI and 88 gallons of sweet sweet avgas. Just my pomapoo and I cruising around the country, jamming to some bluetooth music, 5T-ing, living the dream, and trying to drum up some business.

I am thrilled to be putting my recent IFR rating to use across the southeast, and am sure there will be a lot of learning experiences along the way. I am looking forward to the challenges of weather planning, weird routing, cool airports, and real world approaches (hoepfully). Seems like a good time of year for dispatch rate, assuming there aren't any tropical storms in Florida. I obvioulsy have some flexibility in times built into my plan for weather. Yes - I got about 5 hours of actual in training, have done real approaches to minimums, and have gotten some meaningful XC time (to Nunavut last year). I am planning on keeping my decision making on the conservative side.

10/6 Norwest Florida Beaches - Charlotte Monroe Executive - 2.5hrs
Staying with a client with a house near the airport, and meeting with a couple other companies around the area.

10/7 Charlotte - Montgomery County, MD - 2 hours
Heck, I'm still excited for you!

You have a great club setup that allows you to schedule such a trip.

I no longer find myself torn between bopping around VFR and flying IFR 100%. Best way to warm up that new rating is to file and fly IFR the whole trip (probably your plan anyway). The SE if filled with MOAs and Restricted area - being in the system makes it all so much easier. Just file direct and let them steer you clear of the active ones while you watch the weather. The only place you are going that direct doesn't work so easily is around home base.

I see you are going into Charlotte Monroe - like almost all NC county airports, it is a great facility. Don't hesitate to go into Charlotte Douglas - KCLT - if needed. Wilson Air Center (the only FBO) is at an operational/customer service peak. We actually look forward to going there because the service is so fast and good!

The best part about your trip is that the summer heat is broken - October is the nicest part of the year... Enjoy!

Ted - I am slightly impartial because we get reimbursed for fuel and I am only taking on 15 gallons. I emailed both and Atlantic at BNA got back to me sooner and parking fees were slightly less expensive at BNA.

Any idea which one will typically be easier to get in/out of IFR? A more direct routing into and waiting on a clearance out of?

If fuel cost doesn't matter, then it just comes down to being at a Class C vs non-towered. At Tune we got in and out with no delays. I've never flown into BNA, but there's more runways, taxiways, etc.

I have nothing against Class Cs and the service is probably better at BNA. But what I pay for fuel matters. And I can't remember the last time I pumped 15 gallons. :)

But I did like the beds at the Hutton. Slept extremely well there.

Heck, I'm still excited for you!

You have a great club setup that allows you to schedule such a trip.

I no longer find myself torn between bopping around VFR and flying IFR 100%. Best way to warm up that new rating is to file and fly IFR the whole trip (probably your plan anyway). The SE if filled with MOAs and Restricted area - being in the system makes it all so much easier. Just file direct and let them steer you clear of the active ones while you watch the weather. The only place you are going that direct doesn't work so easily is around home base.

I see you are going into Charlotte Monroe - like almost all NC county airports, it is a great facility. Don't hesitate to go into Charlotte Douglas - KCLT - if needed. Wilson Air Center (the only FBO) is at an operational/customer service peak. We actually look forward to going there because the service is so fast and good!

The best part about your trip is that the summer heat is broken - October is the nicest part of the year... Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips! CLT would be nice to cross off the list, but not sure if it is practical on this trip. Talked to the people at Wilson though and they seemed fantastic. Both the AC and autoland are inop in the 182RG, so will certainly appreciate the break in weather.

Andrew

If fuel cost doesn't matter, then it just comes down to being at a Class C vs non-towered. At Tune we got in and out with no delays. I've never flown into BNA, but there's more runways, taxiways, etc.

I have nothing against Class Cs and the service is probably better at BNA. But what I pay for fuel matters. And I can't remember the last time I pumped 15 gallons. :)

But I did like the beds at the Hutton. Slept extremely well there.

Did you have any dogs with you at the Hutton?

what a great trip. I wish I could do something like that, and I bet that 182 is a comfortable ride. Even with the instrument ticket, be careful and have a great time.

Did you have any dogs with you at the Hutton?

Nope. We were there for what Nashville (and the Hutton) are stereotypically associated with - music. :)

Should be a great trip,flew into tunes last year on my way to Fla . Love the music and fun in Nashville

Back