Putting a Luscombe 8a back together

46Luscombe8A

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charlie
Hello all, my name is Charlie, Ive always wanted an airplane, mostly wanted one to work on. I bought a ground looped 8a 4 years ago and have been pecking away at putting it back together. The plan has been to learn to fly it if I ever get it finished. Fabric wings, A-65 engine, no electrics. The right upper landing gear half and right wing tip spar were damaged and prop was missing so assumed prop strike. The tail-cone had been disassembled and had damage, missing parts. We built a new tail-cone (I tried twice before having a friend help) I bought a decent used right upper gear and now have the fuselage up on gear. I knew of a pair of fabric wings in a garage that I saw years ago, the guy had a couple of Luscombes. He’s passed on and his son also but the wings were still there, granddaughter sold me both wings with ailerons for $500. I found an A-65 in Colorado with a broken lifter body, 800 SMOH, between it and the planes engine, the same friend helped me put a fresh bottom end together. Hoping to get the engine done fairly soon and maybe start on the wings.

Nice to hear you are rehabilitating one of those classics! That's a pure flying for pleasure airplane.
Keep at it, and post some pictures of your progress here.
We will look forward to hearing about its first flight.

Back