Timestamps of interest:

16:43 co-pilot ASI failure
20:41 right engine fuel pump inop
23:10 engine restarted
28:15 right generator failure
28:44 noticed co-pilot ASI failure
36:40 right flap actuator taken out
38:46 go-around issued due to stalled ops vehicle on runway

Some context, this is a guy flying his sim at home with online ATC (via PilotEdge). He didn't know these failures (or the go-around) were coming. He's a turbine helicopter pilot, real world, but has no fixed wing experience, so don't be too concerned about the specific emergency flows. He's a friend of mine and has agreed to help us test this capability at PilotEdge, so he knows we can fail things remotely via the ATC scope, but has no idea when we might do it.

The feathering attempts were somewhat thwarted by his control interface. It kept bringing the prop lever back up.

This could be a powerful capability for the future where clients are flying on the network, practicing procedures at home and we (the controllers) or an automated system can trigger certain failures without prior knowledge by the pilot, based on profile preferences that speak in generalities about their desire to incorporate failures into their scenarios.

Most flights on a home sim are relatively dry and predictable because when failures occur, they generally happen because you triggered them. It's a different ballgame when you truly don't know they're coming, as well as dealing with what ATC throws you (such as the go-around, which was also coordinated without the pilot's knowledge).

I watch many pilots (who stream their flights on twitch.tv) who are not particularly engaged in their flight until something unexpected happens. It could be a game changer for home training. It's less relevant for flight schools where there is an instructor present triggering the failures already, of course.

Thanks for the time stamps. No way I could watch someone play a flight sim for an hour.

Funny. I've recently subscribed to both you and him within the past couple of days. I enjoy the videos. Keep them coming.

Just picked up X-Plane 10.

Back