Pushback

VtPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
VtPilot
Last night at KPIT my coworker Russ said hey Jim you are doing this push. It was my first pushback. It seemed to go pretty well. B) Russ is a cool dude.

Awesome. :) When I worked for Midway Airlines (the one with the big blue M on the tail) I was pushing back planes my 1st day after training. During my training I was begging for any pushback I could get. Oh...how I miss working for the airlines. Heh.

Glad you liked it though.

Hopefully you didn't pull a La Guardia and exceed the turn limits :).

Patch, I think they are talking about pushing back a commercial Jet from the gate with a tug.

Patch, I think they are talking about pushing back a commercial Jet from the gate with a tug.

Yeah thats correct, I work up at northwest. The captain waits for the flight attendant to give him the all set and after I let him know the chocks are pulled He gets clearence from ground. After he gets the clearence the captain tells me brakes are off and clear to push. I sound the horn to let the wingwalkers know we are pushing. After we clear the jetway I tell him clear for engine start. Once we get half way out we come to a stop and when the captain tells me brakes set I give the wingwalkers the hand signal and we disconnect. The wingwalker on the captains side gives him the salute and shows him the pin that we pulled for the nose wheel stearing. After that the pilots are all set to taxi.

Yeah thats correct, I work up at northwest. The captain waits for the flight attendant to give him the all set and after I let him know the chocks are pulled He gets clearence from ground. After he gets the clearence the captain tells me brakes are off and clear to push. I sound the horn to let the wingwalkers know we are pushing. After we clear the jetway I tell him clear for engine start. Once we get half way out we come to a stop and when the captain tells me brakes set I give the wingwalkers the hand signal and we disconnect. The wingwalker on the captains side gives him the salute and shows him the pin that we pulled for the nose wheel stearing. After that the pilots are all set to taxi.

This is very timely. I was JUST flying commercially today and wondering about this.

Actually, it's usually the FO that calls for the push clearence from Ground, but that's neither here nor there :D.

Actually, it's usually the FO that calls for the push clearence from Ground, but that's neither here nor there :D.

Ok, heh some voice up front:p It is fun to hear them running through the checklists though

im glad to hear that they still salute the captain. i read about that in North Star over my Shoulder by Bob Buck and hoped that it was a tradition that lived on.

im glad to hear that they still salute the captain. i read about that in North Star over my Shoulder by Bob Buck and hoped that it was a tradition that lived on.

Yes the manager watches and we hear if its not done right

Back